chapter four

the food was finally done being served to all of the tables. as everyone was eating, rhaenys noticed that sansa had gotten up and went around the table to whisper something in jon's ear. jon's face turned to a look of shock. rhaenys was very curious as to what sansa had to say.

a few moments later, jon's head turned and his eyes locked with rhaenys. he gave her the faintest of smiles. rhaenys began thinking to herself that jon very rarely smiled. she hoped to change that. from the small smile she saw, she wondered what a true, genuine smile looked like that went from ear to ear. she made it her personal goal to get jon's guard down and to get him more loose.

she smiled back at him. while growing up in winterfell, jon was constantly in robb's shadow. although they were the same age, there was no doubt that robb had more experience with ladies, but jon always stayed back and refused to get involved with whatever theon had in mind for them. in his heart, he would give anything to be able to go back in time, to the days when he was more carefree and there was still his brother around.

in light of the thought that robb was keeping in the back of his mind, jon reflected back on what robb would advise him to do if he were in his position. when sansa had gotten up to whisper in his ear, she told him that he should go ask princess rhaenys to dance. the way to go about it was beyond his comprehension. lady stark had forbidden him to be present at the feast when the lannisters had come to winterfell. there was no way he could tell how formalities were conducted.

jon thought that simple was the best. he got up and turned to her with his hand out. "would you please dance with me, princess?" he asked her. she looked up at him, put her hand in his, and stood up. she nodded as he led her to the dance floor. the band had just then switched their tune to one that its tempo was slow. jon pulled her body close to his own as he led them in a slow waltz.

"when and where did you learn to dance like this, my lord?" she looked up into his eyes and giggled. he leaned down and whispered in her ear, "i suppose i am just a naturally gifted dancer princess." he jested. "oh so he tells jokes!" she said to him. in an attempt to hide her laugh, she rested her head on his shoulder as they continued to dance. and as the song ended, the pair sat back down at their table and began to have light conversation with their families.

"if i may ask, when is the wedding to take place? we must prepare." sansa questioned the princess and queen. they both looked at each other. it appeared as though they were speaking to each other in their minds.

"i would prefer it to happen within the next fortnight. i should like for my troops and i to return to dragonstone as soon as possible." daenerys started, "now we are not foolish to believe you complied with our requests to this betrothal for simply our benefit. what would you like of us?"

it was the starks' turn to look at each other. "this is not a matter we should speak about out here." jon states with a serious look. "once the festivities have ended, everyone shall meet in my study." he finished. and once again, rhaenys and daenerys looked at each other with a look of panic in both of their eyes.

all of the sudden, a man with flaming red hair came up from behind the table. he was someone who was unrecognizable to the targaryens. he grasped jon's shoulder and stated, "so are one of these two the southern whore you are going to marry? no matter which one it is, they are pretty to look at, especially when you fuck her. hopefully she isn't crazy." he said and meant only for jon to hear, but nearly everyone in the hall heard what he said. rhaenys' eyes went wide, and tears started to fill them. she stood to her feet and walked out of the hall with poise.

she turned down a few halls in hope of finding her room, but it was useless. she had no idea where she was. instead of going in more circles, she slid down the wall that was nearest to her, put her head in between her legs, and began letting the tears flow as silently as possible. she didn't want to be known as the mad king's granddaughter or to be perceived as crazy because her grandfather was. she then hears someone walking towards her, so she raises her head slightly to see jon. he slides down next to her and places his hand on her knee. "you know, tormund didn't mean anything by what he said. he is a wildling, he does not filter what he is saying. he does not even know what he is saying half of the time," jon says, and rhaenys lightly chuckles.

"it was true. i should have expected someone to say something like that from anyone here. i am the daughter of rhaegar targaryen and granddaughter of aerys targaryen. when people look at me, they see what they want to see. they see who i come from, the mad king and the mad king's son who kidnapped a young, innocent girl" she told jon and he looked deeply into her eyes.

"when i look at you, i see a strong, beautiful, and kind woman who does not deserve to be judged by who her family is. i do not believe you are like your family. from what i have seen, you care more about other people than you do yourself. you are a selfless woman, and simply marrying me so your aunt can have an ally when she takes the seven kingdoms and takes her spot on the iron throne proves that so." jon slowly said to her as tears continued to roll down her cheeks.

"thank you, my lord. this was not something i could have planned in my head to happen this evening." rhaenys said with an airy laugh, and jon laughed as well. jon stood up and stuck his hand out to help her up. as she grabbed his hand and was brought to her feet, she stumbled a little bit, and when jon caught her in his arms, they stood there, chest to chest, while looking into each other's eyes.

she felt his warm breath upon her cheek. "please, you should know by now to call me jon." they then heard a small cough coming from down the hall. it belonged to sansa. jon and rhaenys look at each other and then swiftly spread apart. sansa had quickly asked if rhaenys was okay and if it were okay to end the feast.

it was finally time to talk about what the starks needed from them.