[Carter] An Eventful Morning

Thank you, Sadie, for that description of you and Anubis basically on a date. If you can even go on dates with ancient gods in your ba form.

(Sadie's sticking her tongue out at me. Real mature, sis.)

Anyway, to say my morning that day was stressful would be an understatement. My morning was extremely stressful.

I woke up to a panicked Khufu jumping up and down on my bed.

"Agh! Agh!" he screamed, violently shaking my body like I was a rag doll while he was at it.

I was so surprised that I yelped and ended up falling from my bed. With my brain on high alert, I quickly grabbed my khopesh that was standing next to my bed and looked at Khufu. He was just standing on my bed and staring at me now.

"What's wrong? Is there trouble?"

Khufu jumped down from the bed and picked from the floor an empty cereal box of Cheerios.

"Agh!" he shouted as he held up the yellow carton box for me to see.

Now, I'm still learning baboon language and am no expert, but I was pretty sure he said the initiates had eaten all of his favorite cereal, stocking us out of Cheerios for that morning.

Quickly realizing this, my body started to relax. 

"Khufu, you're just gonna have to wait until the cereal cabinet restocks. Or if someone is feeling generous enough to walk down to the convenient store to buy more," I muttered as I placed my weapon back next to my bed.

When I turned back around to face him, he was already racing out my bedroom door without saying a word. Actually, more like without barking a word in baboon language.

Well that was rude. I thought, but decided to push it out of my mind as I stepped into my bathroom and took a quick shower. Afterwards, I dressed myself in the usual white cotton short-sleeved shirt and pants; the preferred outfit for doing magic.

I made sure to stash my khopesh in the Duat, alongside the crook and frail that were handed down to me by Ra, and my magic toolbox, before making my way down the stairs and outside to the terrace to see everyone else had already started breakfast.

It was the weekends so nobody was in a rush to go anywhere as they chatted and joked among themselves.

I made my way to an empty chair at the end of the table, greeting everyone along the way. I found myself sitting in between Felix, our nome's trustee penguin supplier, and Joanne, one of our newer initiates.

Over the last 3 years, our number of initiates in the Twenty-First Nome grew rapidly. Sadie always likes to smugly say it's because of our last tape and how awesome we made our adventure sound.

"It was bloody brilliant, wasn't it? We freaking stopped the sun from being swallowed!" she would say to new initiates when they would first walk through the doors.

You have to understand, Sadie can be very intimidating. She gives off so much chaotic energy (no, not the bad kind of chaotic like Chaos), it leaves our brand new initiates a little scared and on-guard whenever around her for the first few weeks, but after a while, they warm up to her.

I gotta give them props for that. Even I was still trying to manage her chaotic energy.

(Ouch! Sadie, no punching my arm while I'm recording!)

Anyway, I tried reasoning with her that it probably wasn't the tapes, but rather the fact that Apophis had finally been banished from the mortal world and there won't be any life threatening missions from then out.