16 - The Diner Date

.✫*゚・゚。.★

     MONET PARSONS WANTED TOchange for the better

change for the better. She knew that at times, she'd act selfish, she knew that, and she realized that her actions would always affect others more than it would affect her. But for one night, just one, she wanted to be. She wanted to spend a night with the boy she liked without having to worry about anything else. Was that too much to ask?

She finished doing her hair as her phone vibrated off her dresser. Finding that it had been a text from Ricky saying that he was waiting outside, she stuffed the device into her purse and slipped it onto her shoulders carefully. She skipped down the stairs, careful to quiet down as she passed her parents in the living room. The last thing she wanted was to confront her parents, they hadn't talked since the night they grounded her (unless you count the occasional hi and goodnight), and she was pretty sure she was still grounded.

Successfully slipping through her front door, she was surprised to find Ricky Bowen waiting patiently outside his car. He stared at his phone, mindlessly swiping through the app he had chosen. He wore a jacket over his hoodie, slick jeans and blue converse that had brought together the whole casual look. Monet smiled, walking up to him. "Hey there Bowen, miss me?"

Ricky quickly stuffed his phone in his pocket, meeting Monet's gorgeous smile. "Of course. Ready to head out?" He asked.

Monet nodded, slipping into the passenger seat of his car. "Where are we going?"

Ricky cheekily grinned, "Well, I know this diner in Salt Lake City. My parents used to take me there all the time when I was younger." His heart broke at the once fond memory of a full family. "And I know that your rather fond of traditional, classic things, so I figured this was the perfect place for you."

Monet's face hurt from how much she was smiling, the idea sounding as perfect as it could be. "God, where have you been all my life?"

"Trying to pass Chemistry." He responded with ease. Lighting an old memory where he used to complain about his bad mark. Monet had sat next to him for most of that year, only comforting him with the promise that he'll pass one of those days. He had.

They began driving to the disclosed location, which really wasn't all that much of a drive (they could have easily walked if it weren't for the rather chilly weather). Monet and Ricky talked about anything and everything, ranging on the subject of the musical and everything school related.

***

The restaurant- Benny's Diner- was everything a retro diner should have been. With classic red outline with a poppy blue, it was right out of Monet's book of dream restaurants. How Ricky seemed to know her that well was quite impressive. It was more saddening that she didn't know about this place beforehand. They were immediately sat at a table in the farthest corner. Music blasted around the well-lit area, only making the place more lively as people laughed and talked like this was an everyday occurrence.

"Man, I am so glad you showed me this place. It's everything I've dreamed of and more!" Monet awed, slipping into the booth-seat across from Ricky.

"Yeah, it's a sight for sore eyes. I haven't been to this place since- well, you know." Ricky looked at his menu, he had been there so many times that he knew the order like the back of his hand, but something about his parents not together any more sadden him to no extent.

To change the tone of mood, Monet began to change the course of the conversation. "So... I come to the realization that Ricky might not be your actual name."

Ricky perked up curiously, tossing his menu to the side he began to speak. "And how did you come with that conclusion?"

Monet blushed at the thought. "I might have snuck a peek at your folder."

"Well, you've caught me. My real name is Richard Bowen." He laughed, knowing full well there would be a lot of teasing to come from this.

"Who thought it was a good decision to name you the most 1920's name ever?" Monet asked, clutching her stomach in laughter as she confirmed Ricky's real name. She already know she was about to change all of his contact names.

"Okay, okay, laugh it up! I swear my parents don't hate me." Ricky chuckled along with her. "But now, you've got to tell me your middle name at least."

Monet sighed, pushing her hair behind her ear. "Monet Alyssa Parsons. Alyssa was my Great Aunt's name and she passed away right before I was born so there's the history behind that."

"Alyssa's a pretty name, I think it fits you a lot." Ricky complimented. "Richard Bowen and Monet Alyssa Parsons. A duo that cannot be messed with." Monet agreed wholeheartedly, for names like that could not be messed with.

At that moment, the waitress showed up, writing down Ricky and Monet's order. A hamburger, side of fries, and a classic vanilla milkshake; times two (for each of them). The two fell into comfortable conversation once more, effortlessly.

"I guess now we can drop the get back together plan with Nini huh?" Monet voiced, a bit embarrassed that she would have to ask at all. Though she wasn't really sure if she could pursue a relationship where her interest was still in love with someone else.

"Yeah, I don't think that was something I was even interested in. I mean, I think I might always have a soft spot for her but I look at you and I realize that you're everything to me." Ricky revealed, and his word was true, after all he used to think about Nini all the time, but that had been replaced by the thought of Monet. "How's your presidential election going by the way?"

"God, I'm really nervous. I see people putting in slips of paper into the voting box at the front office and I secretly hope that they're voting for me but I'm not sure. I still have to give my speech that would solidify the deal but I have nothing prepared. I've been very busy lately with the musical and all so I hope to have some sort of script before thanksgiving break ends." She finished ranting.

"I think you'll do great, I believe in you. Trust me, I've already voted for you and like our deal had proposed, I managed to convince the entire drama club to vote for you as well." He admitted, smiling lighting as their food was placed in front of them.

"You don't have to help me you know, but I appreciate it nonetheless." She thanked him. "Anyways, what are your plans for Thanksgiving?"

"Oh I'm just going to go to my Aunt's place with my Dad. Nothing to special. What about you?" Ricky asked.

"My brothers coming home!" She spoke with excitement. "He's in college so we don't get to see him often but he's coming home for the break! I missed him so much so I think it will be pretty fun." Jackson– Jack for short, had been studying to be a lawyer. The first ever Parsons child to have fallen into their parent's trap. Luckily for him, he had actually enjoyed doing it— everything that Monet had not.

In the end, her family was the least of her worries. All she wanted was a successful date, and it seemed like the night was going to end just like that.

It's been over a week since I've updated and I'm very sorry about that! I got swept up with work and new stories so when I finally got the chance to work on this, I couldn't resist. I just saw EP 9 and let me just say, I'm crying in the club rn. I have no clue how I'm supposed to incorporate Monet but we'll figure it out along the way. I hope you enjoyed the chapter, goodbye guys!