Chapter 6

No ones POV:

Rosa walked down the stairs that morning to give Max his stew for breakfast. She heard a sniffling sound before she saw Evolett crying holding Max's hand. "Darling what is wrong? Why are you crying?" She set the breakfast down rushing over to Evolett, she stopped short to see Max's eyes shut, skin pale and clammy.

"T-the snowman m-melted a-and his blankets...Mamo is he going to die? Please God do not take him from me!" Evolett stuttered. Rosa rushed to get a metal bucket to place his soaked blankets in, walking over she said. "After all these years you still call me 'Mamo' why?" Evolett quickly wiped a tear away that managed to escape, she gave Rosa a smile. "I don't know, I guess it jut stuck with me all these years."

Flashback-

Mr and Mrs. Adams were visiting the Hubbermanns on warm Summer day, Evolett was two at the time. Her father was taking a break from drinking so he was happily sober from becoming a new parent. Upon Evolett meeting Rosa and Hans for the first time in a while she was overly exicted. "Mamo!" She squeled pointing to Rosa. Rosa and Laurel, who is the mother, smild at each other. "No my darlimg, that is Auntie Rosa, I am mama." She spoke softly to the child who was scribbling with a pencil on paper. "No, she Mamo." The stubborn child pointed to Rosa while talking, the mother sighed. "She is still trying to learn words, she will sometimes say Mama, but when she hears Josh and I talking about you and Hans she always gets exicted and says Mamo and Papa. I guess she laerned from your children."

So from that day since Evolett's real mother was called Mama whilst Rosa was called Mamo.

End Flashback-

Evolett stayed down in the basement while Rosa went to dumped the cold water down the drain and fetch any good dry blankets for the sikck Max. Evolett overherad Leisle ask loudly, "Is he going to die?" She flew her free hand to cover her mouth because the other one was holding Max's hand. She let out a strangled soab leaning over Max's body crying on his chest. "Shut up! I will not have that kind of talk in this house. Besides Evolett may over hear you saying that. She is already upset that he is not waking up, dont you dare ever say such a thing like that in front of her. Do you understand?"

"Yes mama." Evolett wiped a few tears off her face before sitting up, she gave Max a kiss on the lips. He moved a little from the touch but did not awake. "Wake up. Please?" She left him down there to contiune on with her day.

Days later:

Status update...
Max is still sick
Evolett is starting to doubt he will wake
She won't eat much
Always plays with her engagment ring
Rosa is still a thundercloud(see what I did there)
Lisele won't admidt feelings for Rudy
Told Rudy about Max
Lisele steals books from the Burgamister(spell check anyone? No? Okay.)
Hans has his suspisons

Evolett's POV:

I was washing a few pots when someone comes running through the door. "Mama! They are checking basments." Lisele comes in with a huge torn in her tights. Then I looked out the door seeing soliders walking our way, my eyes widened at the thought of them taking Max away from us. He would surly die. Wait, stop thinking like that, snap out of it Evolett. He won't die, he loves you too much to die without seeing you one last time."Hans!" Rosa tapped on the window that looked outside. "Come quickly!" Hans ran down the basement to hide Max, I would have gone with him to help but my feet wouldn't let me move.

When Rosa opened the door after a sharp knock, Lisele stood in front of me, I wrapped my arms around her to use her as support. The midlde aged man came through the door and started talking with Mamo. I comletley blanked out until he asked me, "What a beautiful ring that is. Is this your wedding ring?" My breathing became shallow before I stuttered out, "Y-yes sir Wolfa." He smiled, "And your fìance's name, I am sure he is a lucky man."

He wanted Max's name, how could I give him his name? No, I'll just have to play this out how it goes. "His name is Max."

"Not Max Vanderburg is it. We are looking for a young man by the last name of Vanderburg, we need to recruit him since he is a previous soldieir's son."

"N-no, I don't think I've ever heard that lastname before. The Max I'm marrying is by the last name of-of"
My eyes wandered around until it landed on Jesus on the cross, "Cross, his name is Max Cross."
He nodded before asking, "Is he in the army? I'm looking for young men to recruit."

"No he is in the air force. Different department of you sir Wolfa, yes?" He smiled and nodded, "Where is the man trap?" No response, "The doore to the basement?" Right then Hans came walking up the staries, "Ah Wolfa, I heard you were coming."

"By who exactly?"

"Who was it Rosa? Who was it telling that he was comig?"

"Frau Stiener." Rosa spoke quietly.the three of them left to go down to the basement. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. I slumped into a chair rubbing my face with my hands. "What have I done?" I spoke to no one. "What do yo mean?." Asked the golden haired girl.

"When they see three is no Max Cross in the airforce who is engaged to a Evolett Adams, they will know I was lying. Lying to an officer means I could be arrested. Then they would take all of you away when they find Max here."

Minutes ticked by.

The clock on the wall was slowly killing me on the inside. Each 'tick' meant that another second went by when Max could be discovered. Finally when I heard footsteps approaching I went to finish washing the pots, it would keep me distracted from listening to Max being dragged out of the house. I heard the door shut after Hans let Wolfa out and I turned around. "He didn't..." Rosa shook her head. "My girl Max is still safe. Now, eat something before you get sick." I nodded and sat down as Rosa grabbed some meat to cook along with more veggie stew.

As she started cooking the meat an unpleasant feeling formed in the pit of my stomach. I pushed the feeling away, when Rosa placed the bowl in front of me a few minutes later the feeling came back even stronger. I felt myself start to shake a little as I quickly stood up flinging my hand to my mouth and ran to the bathroom.

As I shut the door with my foot, what little food I had in my belly to begin with came up an into the toilet. The retch smell almost caused me to be sick again. I cleaned and composed myself before exiting the bathroom. Rosa stood there with a worried look, Hans looked up from his stew also worried. "Darling? What is the matter, are you sick? Tell me what is wrong." I sat down not answering them, I folded my hands into my lap looking down.

"I don't know, I just don't feel well. I'm going to go lay down." I grabbed some pieces of bread heading up the stairs.
"Evolett." Mamo called after me, "Yes?" She sighed looking around. "You don't have to answer me, but if you did, you know something, with Max. Look, all I am saying is in a week or so if you are still getting sick I will take you to the doctor and we will figure this out. Okay?"

"Okay. Of course." I went up to my bed and fell down onto it with a soft thud. I reached under my bed and grabbed my sketch book. I flipped onto the picture of Max that I was almost finished with, I traced his jaw line followed by his lips. "Please live." I whispered before falling asleep with the sketch book in hand.