Chpater 7

A few days later....

I ran down the hallway to the bathroom, again. "Evolett, that is it. I'm taking you to the doctor." Rosa said from the other side of the door. I silently made my way up to my suitcase. My red dress was the first thing I saw. I slid it on, it felt kinda snug around my middle. I walked over to a hand mirror, I positioned it to where I could see my stomach. I felt and looked bloated...great. Rosa was waiting for me at the door with my coat in hand, "Come, after the doctor we will head to the market." As we walked the short distance to the doctor many thoughts ran through my head. What if I am with child? If anybody found Max would they take me and the child away too? God help me. Rosa knocked on the door of Dr.Rausench, a tall lean women answered the door. "And what do you want Frau Hubbermann?" I could tell Rosa was holding back. "We are here to see Dr.Rausench, please its urgent." I spoke up.

"And what if he isn't seeing anybody..." An older man came walking up behind her, "I'll see you now." I walked through the door, this was his home. The living room became a waiting room, a guest bedroom became an examining room.

"Please, sit on the table and tell me what is wrong." I slid my coat off and was about to sit down when he stopped me, "Is something wrong Doctor?"

"Come here please, stand straight up and don't suck in your stomach. " I did as I was told, he placed a hand on my belly and one on my back. He pressed a little then let go, he repeated that a couple of times before stopping. "Alright, please go lay down now." I laid down as he pressed on the sides of my belly, the top of it, the center, and the bottem.

He help me sit up, "Evolett, have you been felling sick or light headed at all recently?" Doc questioned. Well, now that he says that the light head does ring a bell. "Yes, more vomiting than being light headed. I usually get lightheaded when I first wake up or when I've been sitting down too long." He nodded writing stuff down on a clipboard, "And have you been sexually active within the past few days or past week?" I looked at him, connecting the dots.

"Could I be with child?" I asked quietly, the doctor sighed "Yes, there is a great chance you could be with child, but your weight is what concerns me the most. You need to start eating for two, and I mean it." I nodded, how will we ever be able to feed enough for five, now six people.

"Is that all doctor?" I asked kinda frantic, I really wanted to get out of here, Max needs to know. 'But he is half dead.' my mind reminds myself.

"Yes, just remember: plenty of food and rest, no stress and just take care of yourself and you baby now. Ja?" I nodded while smiling. "Of course, now how much will this be..." he cut me off with the wave of his hand, "No no no. No price, it is a refresher it see someone who will bring life into this world. At least the world we are living in right now." I gave him a hug by surprise. He stumbled backwards before gingerly placing his hands on my back. "Go on, and be a good mother."

I smiled as he lead us through the small house back to Rosa, his wife was no where in sight. "Evolett, is everything alright?" I smiled again while nodding. "Yes, everything it great. Now didn't you say you wanted to stop by the market?"We headed out of the house together. I felt like a child walking alongside Rosa, my footsteps were lighter, my heart felt a thousands times less heavy. I felt like I was floating.

"Evolett, tell me what happened back there. Please?" I stopped at a store with blankets in the window. "Rosa, what size blanket would be good for a baby?" I place a hand on my stomach, I smiled looking up at her. "Y-your with child?" I nodded, she placed a hand on my stomach. "Well, we better get more food. And that cream colored blanket should be big enough for a baby. I have some from my own children, they are old but they will be warm for the baby." I hugged her as we made our way to the market.

---------------------------------------------

"Liesel, time for dinner." I called out to her from the top of the steps leading to the basement. "Okay, I'll be right up." I sat down with Hans and Rosa, Liesel sat down across from me, "Time for Grace." we gathered our hands as Hans began the evening prayer. "Our father, who art in Heaven, hallow be thy name, thy kingdom come, thy will be done as Earth as it is in Heaven, give us this day, our daily bread, and forgive us for our sins, as we forgive those who trespass against us, and lead us not into temptation, and deliver us from evil

Amen.

An we thank you for keeping us safe during these troubled times. We thank you for Evolett and her finding out about her child. We ask that you watch over Max, that you will make him better for this family's sake. Amen" Papa squeezed my hand when he mentioned Max and I, I squeezed back gently.

We ate in silence as Liesel told us about her day at school with Rudy. "Eve, what gender do you want the baby to be?" she suddenly asked looking at my hand, it had already absently had started rubbing my belly. "Huh...oh umm, I would like a girl, but a boy would also be nice. As long as the baby is healthy it doesn't matter what the sex is."

Rosa smiled happily, "I haven't had held a newborn in such a long time I am so excited for the baby's arrival."

I laughed a little, "I've still got eight more months to go Rosa, we've got awhile." She nodded and we went back to eating slowly, "How will Max react when he finds out about this?" Papa asked, I looked him in the eye.

"I bet he will be very happy, but he will also feel guilty that he wasn't here for me." he nodded, the rest of dinner was filled with little talk but mostly conversations about the baby.