Chapter 80.

"If I physically wrap myself around your ankle and refuse to let go, do you think I could get past airport security? Just... hide me under a blanket something," Eddie raised an inquisitive eyebrow against his face, tilting his head sideways to expose his jawline to the glare of the setting sun.

The summer weather was now well advanced, brushing into the meadow in a way that accentuated the strengthening prism of the rolling hills. There was no coordination of the wind playing it's symphony in the air surrounding them, but somehow, the group that stood there became its solitary instrument. Heart strings being pulled one by one -- the world was playing it's grand finale.

"What? That's not fair. I thought I told you dude, you can hide in the suitcase," Richie jested, "I'm wrapping myself around her. I called dibs."

The familiar faces around him broke into their individual creation of a smile in response to the remark, though Richie's was something with a little more depth. He was grinning, but he had an outline in his eyes that was determined not to cry.

It hurt to look at her. To know that it was over. To continue writing the story of his life without doing so much as mentioning the first few letters of her name. Somewhere in his foggy existence, it hurt to know that he loved her. The pain got closer when time grew farther. This was it. He was saying goodbye.

But in some ways, it was a good hurt. He was losing this love, but the good news is: you can't lose something you never had. It hurt like heaven.

"You'll be okay man," Stan put a gentle hand of affirmation on Richie's shoulder, speaking the words so quietly only he could hear them. "I promise. You always are. And she'll be okay, too. Together or apart."

If love doesn't hurt, I'd love to know what the fuck this is. Richie only nodded, fearing his chest would begin to constrict and tears would trace his cheek if he had to be reminded of her departure one more time. He couldn't speak, because that's exactly how it would start.

"So this is it," Mike sighed. "Seattle. How does it feel?" 

Oh fuck you. Can't we make small talk about literally anything else?

The rest of the Losers gathered around to hear her response, but Richie couldn't take another punch. He couldn't stand to hear the music that was once her voice finally fade out. He pulled out several bunches of wildflowers from the soil, tangling them into messy flower crowns and throwing them aside once reality caught up to him. They were useless. There would be no princess to wear them anymore, anyways.

"God, I'm so excited. I'm so excited to live in a city, where there are more stories to be written about people than there are people themselves. The amount of inspiration in places like that is something I can't even fathom. It's even harder to imagine that I'll be there by tonight. I'm leaving in 15 minutes, to be exact," Elle specified, subtlety laying out the hints that their time was limited.

The words are cold, but her tone is warmer than Richie ever thought possible. He turned down the volume on all other thoughts except for the ones about her just so they would stay with him a little longer than she was. To make sure his memory was really getting a hold on her, maybe. But his heart already had. She would become a stranger whose laugh he could recognize anywhere. Just like hearing your favorite song after years had passed and still remembering it word for word.

"You don't have to go, you know. I'm sure there are plenty of writing companies in Derry. Maybe even Bangor. Why do you have to go all the way to Seattle? Seems like a waste of time to me." Eddie's hopeless attempts at getting her to stay gave rise to a small grin from Bill, who was sure to keep the smaller boy close to him. If he could no longer take care of Georgie, he had to make sure he was taking care of someone. It was in his nature. He had to make sure Eddie knew he was no longer alone.