6. Numbers (Taehyun)

taehyun pov

"what is the value of the discriminant if..."

c'mon! if what?!

i thought to myself as i waited for the questioner to finish the question.

i was in a math competition held in my school. we were supposed to be competing with other schools, but i made it to the finals along with a student from my school too.

and it was not other than y/n.

"the nature of roots is imaginary?"

i quickly pressed the button, and thank god i pressed it before she did.

"taehyun, what's the answer?"

i leaned onto the microphone, and answered it with confidence.

"the value of the discriminant is less than zero."

"that is correct!"

the crowd cheered. i saw some of the girls were booing, but the rest was smiling and clapping. yes, my school really supported math stuffs.

i smiled ear to ear knowing that i won first place again. the questioner soon left the stage, and came back with a trophy. i took a quick glance at y/n, and her face was as red as a tomato, staring angrily at me. i shrugged it off, knowing that she was just jealous that i won again.

yes, y/n was smart. she would always make it to the finals with me. but, i would always beat her, making me probably her biggest rival in school.

i quickly walked to the center of the stage to receive the trophy. i was still smiling as i shook the questioner's hand and being congratulated by people after.

i was actually shocked when y/n came up to me and held her hand out, a tint of anger still on her face. i smiled, shaking her hand. then suddenly she leaned into me, a little smirk on her face.

i took a step back, but i knew she didn't have those kind of intentions since she stopped before the gap between us closes. my eyes was wide in shock, and my heartbeat helplessly got faster. she stared intensely into my eyes. god, those eyes...

"i'm gonna beat you next time." she scoffed, then left me there in shock before i could reply or react.

oh my god, she was so close. i though to myself as i rubbed my chest, trying to make my heartbeat slow down.

"yo, what happened bro?" soobin approached me, looking at me in confusion as i still tried to calm myself down.

"y/n." i sighed, sitting down at the nearest chair.

"still?" he said, sitting down next to me.

"of course." i smiled and looked down at my feet to hide my blushing face from soobin, thinking about what just happened.

"ooo, someone's in love~" he teased, nudging me with his elbow.

"stop it~" i whined, both of us bursting into laughters after.

"but i don't think she likes me back, hyung."

"you don't know that for sure, taehyun."

"she think of me as her rival, not her love interest." i explained, whispering the last two words.

"you don't know for sure unless you ask her, taehyun." he sighed, patting my back.

"okay, you're right hyung. i'll ask her." i smiled, looking at him.

"bye, hyung!" i cheered, standing up.

"bye, taehyun." he waved back.

on my way home, his words kept on playing in my mind.
"you don't know for sure unless you ask her..."