Chapter 1

Previously on Riverdale
"Ladies, Gentleman, it's been months in the making, but we're finally here. Welcome to new Southside." Hiram tells the people meeting in the Wyrm
"Are you asking me to join the Serpents, Jug?" Betty asks Jughead in the motel bed
"Just wanted to know how you felt about being my queen." Jughead replies to her
"I'm willing to sell the Whyte Wyrm to you for Pop's Chock'lit shoppe." Veronica tells her dad
"Will you Breanna Jolene Jones the second marry me?" Reggie asks B.J
"Of course!" She replies back to him
"No more evil, you have no power over me." Betty tells her dad who is behind bars
"I have someone who can help you. Mom, the farm." Polly tells her mother Alice
"It needs alot of work, Dad but I'm up for it, if you are." Archie tells his dad uncovering the car
"Your new student body president Archie Andrews." Weatherbee says over the intercom as we all cheer
"You got Andre ti kill that boy at Shadow Lake, Cassidy, and when I do prove this, I'm gonna come for you." Archie threatens Hiram
"Steps have been taken to dissolve the very glue that holds them together." Hiram tells his friends
"Sheriff Minetta what are you doing?" Archie asks the Sheriff as he handcuffs him at the inaguartion
"Archie Andrews you're underarrest for the murder of Shadow Lake resident Cassidy Bullock." Sheriff Minetta tells everyone

It's the calm before the storm, the summer before your Junior year in High school, and how do you spend it? Working some brutal summer job that actually makes you work foward to going back to school. Or maybe you have an internship that doesn't pay much, that's okay because it's for a good cause. Or maybe you spent it at the Sweetwater Swimming Hole, You... your sister and the best friends you'll ever have. Or maybe you spent most of June-July-August in a courtroom, supporting our pal Archie Andrews, who was on trial for murder he didn't commit, despite the DA's closing arguements.
"Ladies and Gentleman of the jury, the evidence of the testimony that was presented to in this court. Tell a dark story, that Mr. Andrews has a history or violent behavior that he started not one, but two maskes vigilante groups. That he assulted an innocent boy who was helpless with two broken legs, that he went "wilding" in the Southside of town and threatened to shoot a young man in the face. That while partying with his friends in the town of Shadow Lake, Mr. Andrews ran into the woods and shot the victim, Cassidy Bullock, Point blank in the head. Now Mr. Andrews claims that it was his girlfriends fathers doorman who shot Mr. Bullock, a shot Mr. Andrews claims to have heard, but not seen. Who knows the truth of what happened that terrible night in the woods near Shadow Lake? I'll tell you who, that man, Archie Andrews may be a varsity athlete and he may be a sensitive musican. But he is also...a cold blooded...killer." Mrs. Wright says making her case against Archie, Reggie and I have been sitting here for two hours about to have a heatstroke but we are here to support our friend, his mom stands up coming to his defense "Ladies and Gentlemen, we know for a fact that Archie Andrews constantly puts the needs of others ahead of his own. We know he helped to solve the murder or Jason Blossom, we know that he offered both friends and enemies shelter, when they had no where else to stay. We know that he punched through a river of ice to save the life of his classmate Cheryl Blossom. Let me remind you that there were no witnesses to the actual killing. There was no murder weapon, there was no motive. At the end of the day, all prosecution has is cloudy testimony from unreliable people. Now it is my solemn duty as a mother to protect my son, but as an attorney, it's my duty to adhere to the facts, to the evidence. There is nothing here that proves that Archie Andrews is anything less than an innocent boy. Thank You." Archie's mom states she is right Archie told us what happened we were put under siege by Cassidy it was mere self defense and how would have Archie killed him with a gun when he didn't have one in the first place. "Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, the charge is first-degree murder. You may retire to begin you deliberations, all rise." The judge says we all stand up as the judge says we are allowed to leave the room and get some water, Reggie and I see Betty and Jughead talking to the Andrews and we decide to joing them "You did amazing Mrs. Andrews." I walk up to her saying "Thank you B.J." She says and we continue to talk and talk when Veronica walks up worridly "Have you guys seen Archie?" She asks us I shake my head and the other three run off to go find him "We should probally go too." I say grabbing Reggie's sleeve and we run after the other three. We both follow the three of them until we find Archie sitting alone on the stairs "Archie there you are." Veronica says as we all make our way up the stairs "How are you holding up, bud?" Jughead asks him "Yeah good, Jug." He replies to him "What were you thinking about just now? How you're gonna walk out of this courtroom a free man?" Veronica asks him sitting down "No I...There was this place, we've never been before, Ronnie, but Betty, Jughead, and B.J do you guys remeber Sweetwater Swimming Hole? How we went there every summer?" Archie asks us "I was just thinking about that place earlier." I say to him with a smile as I remeber all the memories "Yeah me too, what made us stop going?" Betty asks "Uh, probably when we got covered in leeches." Jughead comments "Was that us or was that a movie?" I ask him "That was definitely us." Archie says "That was us." Jughead says "Oh." I say shrugging my shoulders "I'd like to go. Hopefully you can take me, Archie?" Veronica says "Hopefully." He tells her "Guys it's time." Kevin says coming up behind us "The Judge just asked us back into the courtroom." He finishes we all take a deep breathe and follow each other back to the hot room.
"The Jury is still deliberating, but I've dismissed them. They're sequestered and I've intrsucted them not to read anything about the case, nor to discuss it with anyone. We'll reconvene Tuesday Morning after Labor Day, my advice to you young man, is to spend this weekend with your family and your loved ones. That's all." The jugde says as he dimisses us Reggie and I walk out of the court house and to his car, "Hey Jughead invited us to Pop's with the rest of the crew." I tell reggie as I open the door after the last week of school I was officailly cleared from using any crutches and I could get back to using my bike so that was nice but Reggie still insisted on taking me everywhere. "Yeah sure that sounds good, some ice cream would help my mid heatstroke." He says as he buckles his belt and starts the car. He backs out and we head on over to Pops'
  we sat down with Betty and Archie along with Veronica and Jughead, Reggie went to go get our order and Jughead went with him, Betty began to talk about the murder weapon "If only we could find the gun that Andre used to kill Cassidy." Betty says as Jughead and Reggie sit back down with the shakes "I've torn the Pembrooke apart. After the riots, my father wiped any and all traces of Andre." Veronica explains "He wouldn't have brought it back from Shadow Lake. So that's probably where he ditched it." I tell them taking a sip of my double chocolate shake "So what? We go back to Shadow Woods? We've looked." Betty says "Well, let's look again with metal dectors this time." Reggie comments "If we get Andre's gun, we can plant it on-" Archie cuts Veronica off "No, I don't want to do that, I don't want to spend what could be my last weekend looking for evidence that isn't there, planting it who knows where." Archie tells us "Archie we have three extra days to prove that you're innocent." Betty counter argues Archie rubs his face in frustration "What would you have us do, Archie?" Veronica asks him "What the Judge said, after the worst summer ever, I want us to have a great, normal Labor Day weekend. Can we do that?" Archie asks us "If that's what you really want Archiekins." Veronica says "It is Ronnie." Archie says "So what should we do?" Reggie asks him the door bell rings and Cheryl walks in with her Serpents jacket that she's been flaunting since she got it, she walks over to us and stops in front of the table "Greetings, chums, I wanted to let you know that after the three amazing months I had with Toni riding our motor cycles cross- country, we're celebrating with an epic End-of-Summer pool party at Thornhill. And you're all invited, of course, given the fact that Archie will most likely be walking the green mile, while the rest of us are walking that stage at graduation, I understand if you're not up for it. Invite who ever you want, but give them fair warning, I'm in the mood for some hell-raising. Toodles!" Cheryl tells us and walks away
Time Skip
  We the Serpents have set up camp near the river and have been there all summer, alot of our homeless live there so it's quaint like a small village. Jughead and I walk with Sweetpea and Fangs talking about our rival gang the Ghoulies "We know that Hiram Lodge has taken over Southside, cause he's been colluding with the Ghoulies." Jughead tells the boys "And we need to know what he's up to exactly, All right Fangs, you're up, We need you to find the Ghoulies new lair, okay?" I tell Fangs "If you see them, we don't want you to engage with them, this is just a recon mission, and we can't be risking another gang war." Jughead continues "We just need a confirmation that whatever Hiram's up to, has nothing to do with the Serpents and Riverdale High." I tell him "Will do, you got it." Fangs tells us Jughead and I make over to where Dad is, as we told Archie to get a Serpents tattoo so he won't be dead meat in the slammer "Hey, kids come have a look." Dad says continueing the tattoo "Might be my best one yet." He continues "Well, how does it feel to be an honorary serpent?" I ask Archie as we continue to walk up to them "Feels pretty savage, B.J." Archie tells me Jughead sits down in the chair in front of them "Archie, the first thing I learned at Southside High was that you need to roll with a crew to survive." Jughead explains to him "There are gonna be serpents in juvenile detention, find 'em and sit with them." I tell him "That tattoo is gonna get you in. But it's also gonna get you protected." Jughead finishes "Yeah, They're right, up to a point. That Serpent ink will help keep your body safe but you still gotta worry about protecting this, eh? I speak from experiance, your mind is the first thing that goes when you're locked up. If you can keep your head on straight, you can get through anything. You just...You gotta keep your wits about you Red." Dad finishes he nods and looks at the now finished tattoo Dad slaps his arm in a loving way as Archie smiles at him.
  Cheryl is throwing a summer swim party at her house, basically everyone is invited.  Reggie picked me up and we went together, we got greeted by everyone. Cheryl saw me and asked why I wasn't wearing a bathing suit "It's under my clothes I promise." I tell her she nods and directs me to the bathroom to change I walk in and start stripping off the clothes. Revealing some scars from my wounds from the Ghoulies fight, I am still insecure about them but I continue to strip off anyways. I wore dark blue two piece. I walked out of the bathroom and towards Reggie who was talking to some of his football buds, I threw my stuff next to our towels and grabbed my sunglasses and came and wrapped my arms around him "Boys." I greet "B.J." They say and continue they're conversation, I look around the pool and see all the couples together Betty and Jughead, Veronica and Archie, Cheryl and Toni but one catches my eye Josie and Sweatpea. That is an odd mixture of people, she seems sorta uncomfortable and gets up to leave. Reggie finishes up with the other boys and makes his way towards Archie I sit down with Veronica as the boys pass the football around "Hey Veronica, how has the rest of summer been treating ya?" I ask her she turns towards me "Not bad, Archie and I have been hanging out as much as possible just in case that he leaves." She tells me I nod "Well that's sorta good, I'd hate for him to go away when we all know he did not kill those men." I tell her she nods and we continue to chat about everything that has been going on lately. Her and I have grown close throughout the summer same with Betty and I, Speaking of Betty she came and sat down with us and Veronica began talking "Are you okay?" I ask her "I went to see Mrs. Andrews and Attorney McCoy to ask them to put me on the stand. I wanted to get in front of that Jury to tell them the truth about my father, to see if that might make a difference, but they said no. That I was to late." Veronica explains to us "Maybe not, Veronica." Josie buts in "Josie?" I say startled by the sudden intrusion "Look you didn't hear this from me, but... the Jury is being sequestered at the Five Seasons, third floor room 301, the security's tight but...I think I can get you in." Josie explains to the three of us I look at Veronica "What do you think?" I ask her "That I only need to get to one Jury memeber, to convince them that my Dad's the real villian here, not Archie, for there to be a hung Jury." Veronica tells us "Which would give us more time to prove thar Archie is innocent." I tell her, Betty and her nod approval of the idea we begin to relax more until Jughead calls for me and Betty for an important meeting "Ugh, why now I'm relaxing." groan and begin to get up to walk over there. Jughead tells me that the Ghoulies took HotDog the dog. "Are you absolutely sure that this was HotDog?" I ask Fangs "Hundred percent, man. They must've snatched him on riot night, he looked skinny. I don't think the Ghoulies are feeding him enough." Fangs explains to all of us "We're lucky those animals aren't slow roasting him on a grill." Sweatpea comments "What do we do Jughead? B.J?" Toni asks us "We'd be going behind enemy lines, outnumbered, open to attack from all directions and risking another gang war." Jughead begins explaining the realistics of the situation "No Serpent left behind, right? That includes are spririt animal." I tell them they all nod "Okay, we're gonna deploy after dark, it's gonna be a stealth mission, it's gonna be quick." Jughead tells us "Jug, last time you went into Ghoulie territory, you were beaten to within an inch of your life." Betty says with a worried tone "They'll have back up this time." Cheryl tells her "And we're gonna be quick Betty. They won't even know we were there." Jughead explains to her "K then I am coming with you." She tells us "No." Both Jughead and I say "No don't you dare tell me that it's too dangerous, Jug. The Serpent Queen is a warrior queen. So if you're on the front lines, so am I." Betty tells him "Okay." Jughead says agreeing "Let's bring HotDog home." I tell everyone
  In the night we begin to get ready for our rescue mission for our dog HotDog. I grabbed extra knives just incase, they play dirty so I might as well too. We begin our trip to their camp, it wasn't long they're just outside the city limits. We get off the bikes away from the main camp so we don't make noise. As we come up closer we saw HotDog chained up whimpering, that poor baby. Jughead signals us to stop "We have to quiet, we're gonna wait it out a bit just in case someone comes for him." Jughead tells us, we all nod understanding him, and so we began our stake out.
  "It's been an hour and there is no sign of anyone." I complain to Jughead he rolls his eyes and gives in "Alright, Sweatpea, you guys keep a look out." He tells him, he grabs my arm and we begin walking towards the dog, stealthy. My gut feels as if its a trap and as soon as we step out there, the Ghoulies will be right on us. However some how we make it to HotDog undetected "Hey, bud you're okay now." I say comforting HotDog "Come on let's get you out of here." Jughead says cutting the chain then lights switch on. I knew this was a trap, how could I be so stupid "Hiya, Jonesy, Welcome back to the Southside... I thought this mangey mutt might get you to show up... we need to talk." Penny says walking out behind the trees with the rest of the Ghoulies "No, we don't Penny. We're here for the dog." I tell her folding my arms "If you didn't want trouble, why have you been sending spies all summer, trying to get in our business? Back off. Unless you want to replay of Riot Night." Penny threatens I roll my eyes " Yeah we've been sending scouts, we were looking for HotDog, now that we got him, we're good." Jughead says as we begin to turn and walk away "Not so fast." Penny says stoping us "Your jacket, the Southside isn't yours anymore, that means you're no longer the Southside Serpents." Penny complains "Really, Penny? A Jacket?" I say back she shrugs "We could always just take it off your limp dead body, oh I also heard, Ponytail's a Serpent now, your Northside queen. Maybe we'll go after her next." Penny threatens I know that was a trigger for Jughead to give in "Fine, You can have the jacket as long as you and the Ghoulies stay out of the Northside." Jughead tells her "Oh, you don't get to make demands." Malichi says walking up to us right as Cheryl struck him with one of her arrows, he cries out in pain and I smirk a bit "Did that hurt you, big tough guy." I taunt him "Cheryl!" Jughead yells "I told you I was in the mood for some hell raising." She tells us "Thats it. Just kill' em all." Penny yells out "Cheryl aim your next arrow right between Penny's eyes." I yell at her Penny stops her and her men in their tracks "You and your Ghoulies take one more step, she's gonna release that arrow. Cheryl doesn't miss." I tell her as we have a stare down "Congratulations. You've just made the Northsider fair game." Penny tells us I whip my head around with Hotdog and grab Jugheads arm dragging him off with me."See you soon Jonesy." She yells back at us we all begin to load up into the car, Cheryl still has her eye on Penny with her bow and arrow "Alright let's go." Jughead says we start the car and we head out of the woods with our dog.
   It's the next morning and Jughead is cleaning our breakfast dishes "Hey Dilton came by to see you." Dad says walking out from the hallway "He did?" Jughead asks "Mhmm." Dad replies "What for did he say?" Jughead asks him "Nah wouldn't talk, weird kid." Dad tells him "No kidding." Jughead replies "So how's Hotdog?" Dad asks us as he sits down next to me "Sleeping under the trailer but he's bouncing back." I tell Dad "How are you two?" Dad asks us we both sigh "Could be better." I reply "Uneasy sits the crown?" Dad asks Jughead "Well... Penny's got the Northside in her sights, Cheryl's a loose cannon, Betty is a target uh.. we're not even Southside Serpents anymore." Jughead explains to Dad "No, screw the "Southside" You're a Serpent, by blood and no one can take that from you or any of us." Dad reassures us I nod in agreeance, we hear a horn honking outside of the trailer. Jughead and I run to look out the window and see Archie with his new car he's been fixing up. He waves us over to get in and yells to grab out swimsuits. We run into our room and grab our things and run to get in. "We're getting Betty, Reggie, and Veronica next." Archie explains as he drives off.
   We drive to the river bend we were gonna go swimming in, and begin to strip off our clothes and jump into the water "Last one in gets a sticky maple." Archie yells as the boys instantly jump in us girls look at each other and jump in as well. We spalsh at each other and makeout with our signifcant others. "Caution! NO Swimming after Labor Day." We swim around for hours upon hours before it gets dark and we decide to have a picnic dinner on the shore. We built a fire and laid out all the food "Guys no matter what happens in court this... is the best last day of summer a guy could ask for." Archie explains to us "Archie... what if you just made a break for it? Past that treeline, there's a road that goes through the mountains to Quebec." Jughead explains "Jughead.." Archie starts "There are Serpents North of the border that will keep you supplied." I tell him "You don't deserve this, Arch. Any of it." Betty tells him "Yeah and what if I do?" Archie asks us "Archie why would you say that?" Ronnie asks him worridly "Because I'm guilty, I didn't kill Cassidy but I left him alone with Andre. If I hadn't walked away that night, he might still be alive and not just Cassidy all of it. All of last year. I didn't kill anyone, but I could have, I have to take responsibility for that." Archie explains as we all stare at him with sad expressions across our once before happy smiley faces, we all make our way to seprate places to be alone, Reggie and I walked over to the water front and sat down. "I don't think I'm ready for school to start." I tell him he looks at me "Why not, you said you've been wanting to go back since the beggining of summer." He asks me "I just... there has been a lot going on with Archie's case, the Serpents and cheer, school work is just gonna add to the stress." I explain to him "That makes sense..." He trails off "I've been thinking of leaving the Serpents and leaving it to Jughead and Betty.." I break out to him "You want to leave? But you love being a Serpent." He exclaims "I know I know I do love being one but Jughead really does most the work for it anyways and is leader, I don't see me being apart of the Serpents to much when I'm older is the thing. I see me being with you and three kids and all this fancy stuff, being a Serpent is gonna way me down." I explain to him he thinks for a few seconds and pulls me into a hug a tight one. "I'm so glad I'm not the only one thinking about a future with you." He says kissing my face all over and pulling me into another hug "I will support you in whatever you choose." He tells me I smile and kiss him "Thank you." I tell him with a smile he smiles back "I love you." He tells me "I love you too." I reply
    I ended up staying at Reggies for the night because we planned on going to Archie's trial together, we both woke up at the same time and got ready and presentable. He walked me downstairs and his mom was in the kitchen cooking breakfast, his dad must've left for work already "Good morning you two!" She says cheerfully as she loads us her a plate full of food up "Good morning Mrs. Mantle." I reply with a smile she sits down with us "What your plan for the day?" She asks us "Archie's trial is today mom." Reggie tells her, her face goes glum "He does not deserve whats happening to him." She tells us we both nod agreeing and continue to eat the food she made, it was good. Reggie and I finished up fast and cleaned up our plates, and made our way out the door to go to the trial. He opens the car door for me and closes it and then jogs to his side jumping in and starting the car.
   We make it to the trial and sit down next to some of the other football players who came to watch too, it was just starting to begin "All rise." They say we all stand up as the Judge walks in and takes his seat we sit down along with him. "Has the jury reached a verdict?" The judge asks one of the jury men stand up "Your, honor we haven't, we're deadlocked. Six-to-six, and it's not gonna change." The jury men says which makes the courtroom start to chatter amongst themselves "So it be, the jury is  dismissed, thank you for your service." The judge tells them as they begin to pick up their stuff and show themselves out the lady representing Cassidy stands up and clears her throat "Your Honor, in lieu of another trial, the State is prepared to offer a deal for  a lesser sentence. Instead of prison, time served plus two years in juvenile detention, if Mr. Andrews will plead guilty to the crime of manslaughter." The lady explains which makes Mrs. Andrews stand up "Your, Honor." She begins but Archie cuts her off "I'll take the deal." He yells "NO!" We all yell "We have to discuss this." Mrs. Andrews says "Mom I can't put everyone through this again. Your Honor, I accept the deal." He tells the Judge "Son just so I have it straight, though it's legally in your rights, you're ignoring the advice of your counsel, your own mother." The Judge asks him "Yes, Your Honor. I'm guilty." Archie confirms "Oh my god..." I whisper to my self Reggie wraps his arm around my shoulder "Mr. Andrews, the court accepts your plea of guilt. You'll be taken directly from the courthouse to the Leopold and Loeb Juvenile Detention Center, where you will serve out your sentence beginning immediately. This court is adjourned." The Judge says pounding the gavel down my hands holding my head up "You've gotta be fucking with me." I say out loud "Hey it will be okay, he will be okay." Reggie reassures me I watch as Archie hugs his mom and the officers in there start to walk towards him. They begin to handcuff him "Look, we're gonna get you out of there, bud." I hear his dad tell him, Reggie and I stand up both in shock along with the others "I love you Veronica." Archie tells Ronnie as he passes by "No no, you can't take him away, he's innocent. He didn't do a thing!" She yells and pleads but they just keep on walking Betty and I walk quickly to go comfort her and to keep her from attacking an officer.
I end up riding back home with Jughead, I need some time to think on what just happened.
  When Jughead and I get home he was telling me that Dilton was here needing to tell him something important, whiich is odd Dilton normally never talks to us. We walk in thinking he'd still be there waiting for Jughead but we opened the door and only a thing of papers were there. "Dilton?" Jughead calls out I walk up to the papers and unroll them and take the peice of twine off. I open it up and a picture of a weird skelton thing is on it, Jughead peers over my shoulder, I flip it over and it look like one of those word puzzles and some red marking stuff on the corner. Then it connects to me I hold the map up over the one we have hanging up, we both look at each other astonished. Jughead grabs the keys off the table and I fold the map up, we both bolt out the door.
    As we park near the woods, it was turning about night time, thank god Jughead remebers to always bring flashlights. We begin our trek through the woods following the map Dilton gave us... I was starting to get creeped out. Why would Dilton give us a map through the woods, was he planning on murdering us? "The map shows just up ahead." Jughead whispers to me I nod as we walk a tiny bit faster to the loctation. We make it up past a tree and turn to see the weird skelton creature that I saw on the back of the map. It makes me jump back a bit since I didn't expect it, then we notice Dilton and his friend with weird symbols carved into their back.. and the we notice the candles and blue liquid. Were they having a seance? Jughead goes to touch them and then we hear vomiting "Ben! Ben!" Jughead yells "Ben!, Look stay with me. Come on, come on." Jughead begins to panic "Help! Help!" I yell hoping someone would hear us but no one did...