Chapter 03: Friends

Three months passed. Spring was going away and Summer was coming.

Summer Break would soon start, which should be a good thing. Supposedly.

Arthur Kirkland wasn't looking forward to it. Holidays meant a long time breaking his routine with Alfred.

Arthur had developed a great appreciation for those late afternoons they spent together on the roof. Alfred had become someone that Arthur truly considered as a friend. Probably the best friend he made in his entire life. He didn't have ulterior motives toward Arthur and he never let the difference of their types interfere in anything between them. This made Arthur comfortable around him, which was great. An interesting side of Alfred was that he didn't like talking about romance or sex like other guys his age usually did. He would rather talk about the universe, about the mysteries of civilization, and, well, about who would win in a fight between two superheroes, which fast-food chain was the best or how he would defeat a ghost if he were in a horror movie. Truth is if Alfred was just intellectualism all the time, he would be a bore, so Arthur liked that balance of interests in his personality.

Arthur had also developed an appreciation for the way Alfred, not presuming anything based on his appearance, asked him questions that no one had bothered to ask before. Things like 'What kind of music do you like?' and 'What was your favorite cartoon when you were a kid?'.

Arthur was always very happy to answer these questions. That was probably the first time Arthur had an opportunity to show so many portions of his personality to someone with no hesitation and not even a shade of fear that this could be used as a weapon against him later.

Alfred and Arthur have been friends for months, yet it felt like years. Somehow, in this short time, Arthur got so deeply attached to that gigantic, awkward alpha that he felt each day of Summer approaching as if he was convicted of a crime waiting for the execution of his sentence.

Alfred, on the other hand, seemed perfectly calm and even excited with the idea that Summer break was coming and he kept talking about all the places he wanted to go and all the things he wanted to do. That huge idiot couldn't even see how easily a strange friendship like theirs could vanish while they were apart.

On the last day of school, Arthur was no longer able to disguise his feelings.

"You look so grumpy. I bet you must love Winter, ya Summer hater." Alfred joked that afternoon, pulling his cheek lightly, while Arthur frowned at him.

"No, that's not it." Arthur sighed, hugging his own knees.

They were, as usual, sitting on the floor side by side with their backs against the wall just beside the entrance to the roof.

"What is it then? Are you going to have to take Summer classes or something?"

"No. I just..." Arthur bit his lower lip, feeling his heart aching for a moment. He wanted a fag so bad. That would make things easier. Damn the moment he decided to quit smoking near Alfred in consideration for the boy's well-being.

Oh, well. Screw it. That could be the end of their relationship. He had to be straightforward and tell the truth.

"I'm... I'm going to miss you, Alfred..."

Alfred turned to him with his eyes wide open, looking both surprised and confused.

"Why? Are you going to go on a vacation or something?" Alfred asked, sounding honestly shocked. "You didn't mention anything about it!"

Hm, what?

Why was he acting like it was Arthur who didn't care about abandoning him?

"Uh... no," he replied, feeling a bit stunned by Alfred's reaction. "I'm not going to do anything special this Summer."