friends.

She doesn't have much hope for today. The only reason she bothered to come on time is so that the others won't have anything to blame on her. Baka naman idagdag pa ng gagong yun ang 'late' sa mediocre at incompetent, tangina. Fueled by coffee and spite, Remedios enters the studio and to her surprise, Goyo's there.

No Julian, Vicente, or Joven. Just Goyo.

"Nasan na yung iba?"

"Told them to come later. Had to talk to you first." Goyo purses his lips and pushes a box of donuts forward. Her gaze shifts to the treats and then back at Goyo once more. Once she doesn't take the bait, the boy sighs and forces himself to look at her. "Worth a shot."

"You had something to say?"

He nods, tapping lightly at the table with a single finger. His shoulders are hunched and Remedios wonders what burden he's carrying. "Sorry. Sorry sa mga nasabi ko kahapon."

Oh.

"It was out of line. Blatantly disrespectful to you as an artist and as a person."

"Parang rehearsed ah."

"Kind of. Nag praktis ako sa harapan ng salamin."

She raises her brows. Goyo merely shrugs. "I just want it to be half way decent. But anyway. Walang akong karapatan sabihin yun to a fellow artist. I was redirecting my anger to you, which is not fair."

"Yes, you have issues."

"Oo, andami." That laugh that breaks from him is quiet and pathetic. She's never seen him this vulnerable.

"And.. it doesn't help that I feel threatened by you."

"Ha? Why?"

"Because you're good. Like really good. You have steady vocals and everything, your music's good and—"

"Magaling ako pero sabi mo mediocre at incompetent ako kahapon?"

"Yes," he pauses, "I am.. not the best person. I'm working on that. Look, malabo man na maging magkaibigan tayo but at least we could be decent co-workers?"

It's not everyday that Remedios sees an open display of sincerity and remorse, even though it's the bare minimum in this situation. Goyo has managed to do quite a lot for himself. That's something she can appreciate. Remedios nods at the proposition. "Sure. Decent co-workers then." 

Her eyes softened up and Goyo looks relieved. She sticks out her hand. "Remedios Nable Jose. I like your first EP."

Goyo manages a smile, taking her hand and shaking it. "Gregorio Del Pilar. Big fan."

"Big fan talaga?"

"Oo naman. Actually.." Goyo walks over to his laptop and searches up a video on YouTube. Remedios follows and stands by his side, brows furrowed as she watches the screen. It's a fan video of her from a few months ago. She remembers that concert, it was a good day. 

Goyo plays the video and the room fills with the sound of her fans and the song playing. She watches herself on stage, enjoying the performance as usual, and then it happens. She belts out a high note effortlessly.

He pauses the video. "Still one of your best lives."

So that's why he wants to push through that arrangement. "It happened once. I'm still working on my high notes, Goyo. Alam mo naman na hindi ko forte yan."

"I know, I know.. but my point is.. it happened. It's possible." He looks up at her; determined, hopeful. "Like I said, magaling ka. I still think you can do it."

Why'd he have to look at her like that? Why'd he have to say that? Weirdly enough, she doesn't feel any pressure but a sliver of confidence instead. Goyo's faith in her really is something else.

"It was a fluke.. Maganda ang araw na yun, the adrenaline was mostly the one that made me do that.." Even she doesn't believe in her excuses. Can she really do it?

Goyo sees through her doubts and smiles, a dangerous one that fuels Remedios's confidence. "Okay lang yun! You'll have plenty of adrenaline. It's the biggest music fest in the country going on live. Madaming fans mo dun."

"Bukas na pala yun, no..."

"Adrenaline, pressure, excitement, little bit of anxiety.. all good motivators. Practice na tayo?"

Her voice is quiet. "Baka hindi ko kaya." 

He stops at the words and he doesn't know why it's making his heart heavy. That moment, the two are mirror images of themselves; just people trying their best.

"I got you." He swallows. "Kami ng Aguila, I mean. We got you. Duet naman di ba? Hindi ka nag-iisa."

It's enough to break her away from her anxiety and Remedios chuckles, nodding slowly. "Sige na nga. Kelan ba darating yung iba?"

"Mga kalahating oras pa."

"Una nalang tayo mag praktis or..."

"Or...?"

Remedios walks over to the aux cord with a phone plugged in to the speaker. She guesses it's Goyo's. One tap on the latest song playing and Abba's Dancing Queen fills in the silence.

She stares at him and Goyo remains unfazed. "It's a great song."

"May sabi ba akong hindi?"

A good hour passes and the rest of the band starts to climb up the studio. "Ang bagal mo kasi." Vicente chides, one arm around Joven waist. Julian glares at him and he looks like he's going to bite Vicente's arm off if he doesn't leave him alone. He takes a much-needed gulp of his coffee. "Not everyone gets morning sex to wake them up, Enteng. Tumahimik ka."

Vicente was about to reply when the sight that greets them shuts them both up; Goyo and Remedios crying out the lyrics to Total Eclipse of the Heart.

Julian clears his throat.

The two abruptly stop at the sound; Remedios hiding her smile behind a cough and Goyo smoothing his face over to stone. "Late na naman kayo. Makapag-practice na nga."