Ch. 1 New Directions

Goodbye Detroit cold weather. I am so ready to be in the heat and start fresh. Too many bad memories here. I wonder if Phu will even be happy to see me? I haven't seen her or even spoken to her in 4 years. Ever since our mom died when I was 18, Phu just kind of shut down and eventually left. After Phu left and our mom died, our dad changed. He used to be so sweet and loving.

But now he drinks too much. I used to try so hard to make him happy and please him until one night, he snapped. He did horrible unthinkable things that night. Things that I will never speak of.

So I left. Got a job and lived on the streets until I made a name for myself. Now I'm the most renowned art critic in Detroit. Along with making my own art. I own my own art shop, Vivid Designs. And I have way more money than I know what to do with most of the time. But I'm bored. Bored of the vanilla life. The repetition of doing the exact same thing every day.

So I decided to fix that. I decided to leave my manager in charge of the shop and buy a house in Phoenix, Arizona. Where Phu lives. I miss her so much and I can only hope that she misses me too.

"Flight 16 now boarding for Phoenix"

I grab my bags and head over to the platform. This is it. The beginning of my new life.

I head over to first class and immediately order a glass of pinot noir. I put in my head phones, immediately relaxing to the sound of eden playing into my head as I slowly drift off to sleep for the rest of the flight.

"We are now landing, thank you for choosing our airlines we look forward to flying with you soon"

I woke up with a start. Damn. I can't believe I slept the entire flight. I couldn't help but feel the butterflies in my stomach upon looking outside and seeing the scenery. This is it. Phoenix, arizona. Where my mother was born and raised and where my sister now resides. My new life.

I grab my luggage and head straight through the airport where my rental car awaits outside. A brand new black and red striped, 2020 mustang.

I always had a thing for nice cars. I drive to the sound of my GPS telling me how to get to my new house. But as I drive I notice a bar ahead of me. "The Divergency." What an interesting name. Might as well check it out.

I pull into a parking spot and notice all of the motorcycles outside. A motorcycle club maybe? This should be fun.

I step inside and start to look around. It's actually really nice in here. The black and red aesthetic fit perfectly. Tattooed men and women littered the bar. Soft rock music played throughout the speakers. I shake my head slightly with a smile and head straight to the bar.

"You're not from around here are you, sweetie?"

I turn to match the voice with a face and find myself looking at one of the prettiest men I've ever seen in my life. His blue eyes were just hypnotic.

"Uh no actually. Just moved here, drove by and immediately fell in love with the design of the building, so I needed to check it out" I answered, truthfully.

Did I really look that out of place here? I had plenty of tattoos and my aesthetic was pretty similar. I looked down at my outfit. Tight, black, ripped skinny jeans and a Motley Crue crop top.

"Didn't mean to make you uneasy darling, I just meant that were used to familiar faces 'round here. I know every patron that walks in and out of here. The names Charming."

"Charming, really? That's your real name?" I asked in complete disbelief with a slight giggle.

"More of a nickname actually. You'll get alot of those around here. And you might be?"

"Mae Lin" I said with confidence. Maybe he had seen some of my work.

"Well, well. Mae Lin, as in the artist?" He asked but something told me he wasn't as surprised as he tried to sound.

"In the flesh, that'd be me. You've seen my work?" I was internally hoping he'd explain how he knew me.

"Sure have. Your sister buys every piece and hangs it at her shop. Even bought a few pieces for the bar."

I was immediately focused on him now. "You know Phu? She buys my art? Really??"

"Sure do. She's a regular here. I know her fairly well actually. She even picks up an occasional shift here when we're understaffed."

"Do you know where shes at now? I was planning on surprising her" I asked immediately excited.

"Theres plenty of time for that later, but for now, how about a drink?" He asked with a hint of something else in his eyes.

Just as I was about to answer the doors to the bar swung open and as I turned to see who has walked in, I laid eyes on the most attractive pair of twins i have ever seen in my life.

They radiated a powerful aura and every person in the bar immediately silenced. As if awaiting an order. They must be in charge around here. This is definitely a club. I had ran into plenty of bikers and clubs in my lifetime. But this felt different. But I wasn't scared. Not intimidated in the slightest.

This was definitely going to be fun.