Chapter 1: The News

Hello Loves! First of all I'd like to apologize... thus us the first book I've ever written so bare with me😂 Otherwise enjoy! Hit up the votes and comments!

     "I'm sorry... what?" My mother's words rang in my ears. Engaged... but I'm eighteen. Betrothed... I still have so much time. Wedding... Why don't I have a say in this? I suppose my parents never did give me much of a choice. And I was never one to disobey my mom and dad. Being the oldest I had to set a good example for my younger brother, Coda.

"You're getting married, dear! Isn't that wonderful? There will be a big ballroom and a huge cake and-"

"When was this decided, exactly?" Her smile faltered just the slightest until she tugged her cheekbones back up, acting as if my reaction to her news hadn't disappointed her at all.

"Well, um... we decided last night, honey." My eyes stayed wide, jaw to the floor. I'd never felt so helpless in my life. My father snuck his arm around my mother in a small embrace.

"We only want what's best for you, Bliss, and you know that." His voice was concerning yet fierce. I knew not to argue, but I needed answers.

"Yes father, I understand, but-"

"Then we shouldn't have any further problems with this, should we?" I dropped my head in defeat. I wouldn't win, I never did. Things had always ended this way. I was told to do something and I did it without question. Being trained under an army general wasn't easy. My father had always wished for a firstborn son, and since Coda wasn't, he taught me instead. I guess you could consider me a lady by day and soldier by night. Since Coda and dad were always away, I was left to protect the rest of my family. We considered my Pegasus, Majesty, but she's merely an animal and can't do everything we can. Then there's the family cat, Meena. She's not the fierce type... unless it comes to eating and napping. Protecting people was never a chore for me. I'd always been accustomed to it, and helping people was always something I did on a regular basis.

"No father, it's just I-"

"You what?" I stood abruptly from the living room couch.

"If you would let me speak I'd explain!" My parents took a step back, surprised by my sudden outburst. "I am eighteen years old, barely an adult, and most certainly not ready to betroth a man I don't know!" I glanced at Coda, who was sitting silently in the chair next to me. His head was lowered and he seemed to be uncomfortable about the subject. "What are your thoughts on this, Coda?" His head shot up, addressing the person that said his name.

"I..." I could see his thumbs fiddling out of the corner of my eye. He was clearly nervous about this. And why wouldn't he be? His big sister was being sent off to marry someone she doesn't know After a few more moments I realized he was behaving differently though... not like how he would when he was normally against the subject. He looked at his feet, his eyes darting anywhere but back into my eyes. It's probably a good idea he didn't make eye contact, or my gaze probably would've melted his eyes right out.

"Coda...? Did you... know about this...?" He sighed in defeat. My hands clenched my thighs as to keep myself from strangling him.

"Yes... I did. I have a right to know. It's my commander you're betrothed to." My heart sank layers and layers into the earth. I'm surprised it didn't melt from falling so deep into the Earth's core. I glared at my mother.

"I am betrothed to the prince?!" My words held venom in such a way I thought my enemy would perish. She took a step towards me, her hand extended as to stroke my face.