Chapter 58 - Feeling Far

At least Jasper wasn't here... If he was anywhere but here, it was better. As long as he was alive... Fletch was asleep to my left and Ahri had fallen asleep with her head on my lap. I laid my head on Fletch's shoulder and closed my eyes.

I followed Jasper down an empty hall, he held my hand in his as he pulled me along behind him. He walked through a door and I followed after him but suddenly he was gone. I was alone.

Four walls and a roof. Nothing else.

I run my hands against the wall where I'd come from. Where did Jasper go? I walked in a circle, starting to feel disoriented as I looked around me. There was nothing. No one.

It was just me.

Then suddenly my name is called out. At first, it's quiet and far away. Then I hear it again, this time louder and more clear.

It was a woman calling for me.

A third time, and now the voice is painfully clear.

"Cat? Where are you? Catarina?!" I call out for her but only my voice echoes back to me.

I run along the wall, running my hands against the concrete trying to find a way out. My breathing starts to get faster and I can feel my heart thumping in my chest.

Another voice calls my name, this time sounding desperate.

"Please, where are you?!" I call out.

They call my name again and I stop against the wall as I hear who it is.

"Allie..." I whisper as I stop running and lean against one of the walls.

"Sasha," She calls out again and sounds even more clear.

I shake my head. "No no no... you're not here." I choke up as I speak. "You're dead." I close my eyes as I lay my head against the wall. They're not real, they're dead. They died. They didn't get to live.

Another voice begins to call out for me. This time it's a man's voice.

He calls out again.

Trent.

"Why are you here?!" I shout but all that follows is a piercing silence.

I drop my head into my hands, breathing heavily as their voices start to spin in my head.

"Take care of Ahri for me." "Is he going to be okay?" "This is my wife, Jeanine" "Oh my gosh, you're blushing too!" "I will be."

I throw my hands over my ears, trying to block out their voices. It doesn't work, I just keep hearing them. Everything they ever said to me, all the moments I spent with them, everything.

I try to scream to be louder than them but my voice just cracks. I couldn't make any noise. My breathing starts to catch, I was panicking.

"Shhhh...."

The voices begin to quiet and I slowly open my eyes.

"Shhhh...."

There he was, standing in front of me shushing the voices in my head. He always knew how to fix things...

But he wasn't here either. I didn't know where he was. I didn't know if he was even alive.

He continued to shush after the voices stopped.

I took my hands off my ears and stood up. He opened his arms for me and without hesitation, I ran to them.

A bright light flashed and I was suddenly weightless, freefalling in the sky.