Chapter 17 - Remembering

The sun was setting over the dam, as Charlotte and Oliver had a picnic on the bank of the dam. Charlotte was just passing some salted crackers and cheese over to Oliver when he suddenly jumped up and said, "I remember it all now."

"What do you remember," she asked slowly.

"After my head injury, I lost my memories but now all of the details are back. I remember that you were alone on the sheep farm when I found you as a firefighter, that we stood together, partially submerged in the dam water, to avoid the fire. Of course, I remember thinking how beautiful you were, and I remember most of all, the kiss. I love you, Charlotte!"

Charlotte started to cry tears of joy. She hugged him and they stood closely together, and he gave her another kiss. Then they returned to the picnic blanket, sat together and reminisced about the past.

Once Oliver had remembered, he was determined to make it right by going into the local town and buying a wedding ring for Charlotte. They had waited too long for him to remember how much he loved this woman. Their lives had been plaited together like a long plait of hair, that had touch points through various important events in their lives. The time was right to progress to the next level of their relationship.

Jimmy drove Oliver into town and helped him pick out a ruby ring, surrounded by 8 karats of gold. Oliver wanted the best for Charlotte. He bought the ring and returned to the sheep farm. He waited until the new year's celebrations and after they watched the fireworks exploding overhead, he went down on one knee and asked her to marry him.

"Yes, yes and yes again!" she replied. Charlotte had been in love with Oliver from the beginning, perhaps even as far back as their very first meeting. It had been love at first sight. She had kept his photo and at low times in her life, pulled it out to look at it and remember that he was there, initially as her friend. Through the marriages, children and grandchildren, Oliver had always been an important part of her life. Now, he would become her marital partner.

The engagement party was a lively affair and everyone from the surrounding farms turned out to celebrate with them. Their love had been a slow burn. The embers had been smouldering in her heart for years, until her handsome firefighter had lit the flame.

The wedding was a rare sharing of true love between two people who have known each other for a long period of time. Charlotte didn't look at the intervening years as having been lost as much as having been spent on other activities. If one of them had picked up the phone and called the other, they would have been there in an instant for the other friend. Oliver was like her BFF that had turned into her BLF (Best Lover Forever).