➳ TWO

II. MOODY

The new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher was

The new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher was... different. In looks anyway. Ruth had never seen someone who looked so peculiar; fascinating yet terrifying. Alastor Moody, or Mad-eye as he was christened by the students, was a man who hobbled when he walked since one of his legs were made of wood. His face (which looked as squished as a pug's) was heavily scarred and held a false eye, electric blue in color and whizzed around in its socket. His broad frame gave him the aura of a villain, but his reputation as an auror cancelled that out. Students who had already attended one of his classes had reported that Professor Moody was something of a genius.

Ruth, who was usually early for class, stood outside the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom at 10 minutes to twelve on a Tuesday with Casper. There was already a line to get into the classroom. People were excited to see what Moody had in store for the class.

Ruth was excited too, for Defense was one of her best and favorite subjects. She was eager to learn more about and perfect her dueling skills, just in case.

Casper pulled her into a seat in the middle of the room. A large chatter filled the room until Moody walked in, which caused the chatter to silence immediately.

The strange man looked around the room with a grunt, throwing his case onto his desk with very little care for its contents.

"My name is Alastor Moody, and that is what you will call me," the professor barked. "Put your books away. You won't be needing them."

Students glanced at each other before slowly placing their books back into their bags.

Moody pointed his wand at Ruth, who was being extra slow at the instruction. Her book was pulled out of her hand and shoved into her bag by Moody's magic. The way his false eye focused on her made the Ash girl feel uneasy.

"Books are useless," Moody stated simply. "Sure they can teach you spells, but they can't teach you what it's like being out on a battlefield, fighting for own life."

Ruth was afraid to breath in case that eye pierced through her again. Others seemed to feel the same way, as nobody uttered a single work.

"I've had plenty experience," said Moody. "I'm responsible for many of those Death Eaters in Askaban and because of that, I'm a very popular target for attacks." He pointed to his nose, which had a large chunk missing. "Expluso charm. Confringo charm," he added, pointing to his wooden leg. "Both spells very similar, but one uses heat. Melting my leg right off."

Ruth flinched, like a few others.

"I'm here to teach you how to survive, not how to fight," Moody explained. "And you better pay attention. I'm not afraid to use any unforgivable curses."

The man let out a husky chuckle, but nobody laughed with him. None were sure if he was joking or not.

So began one of the most interesting classes of Ruth's life. She had begun taking notes, but soon found herself to invested in Moody's words to lift up her quill. She soaked up every word he spoke, determined to memorize them and use them when she too became an auror.

The class ended far too quickly, with the bell making Moody take out his wand defensively. He dismissed the class with no homework, which improved his reputation with the students even more.

"That was amazing," Ruth said as she walked to the Great Hall with Casper. "He's the best teacher we've ever had."

"Lupin was pretty good," Casper said, having taking a liking to their previous teacher. The friends sat down in their usual spot.

"Yeah but he wasn't an auror," Ruth argued. "He didn't have the same experience as Moody. Moody knows what its like. To be fighting against him."

"You-know-who?" Casper whispered. "Well we don't need to know his tricks, because he's gone."

Ruth shrugged, silently agreeing to disagree with her friend. "I guess. I can't wait for the two other schools to get here for the tournament."

"Me too," Casper agreed. "It'll be strange though. I didn't think they could fit more people in this castle."

"Never underestimate Hogwarts," Ruth wagged her finger at him playfully.

Casper rolled his eyes and began his lunch. "I was almost sent to Durmstrung, you know."

"Well aren't you glad you came here instead," Ruth said dramatically. "You wouldn't have met me otherwise."

Casper sent her a dirty look. It was feigned, of course. "Yeah. I'm so happy."

Ruth chuckled, also beginning her lunch. "Maybe you can go back with them when the tournament's over."

"Hopefully," Casper said seriously, but couldn't help burst into laughter when Ruth's expression turned to completely offended.