♥ Part 3 | Resilience ♥

I gasped as the thick, threatening, cold air around me flurried against my soft skin. I am determined, but yet so ready to give up. I begin to rest my trembling fingers against my knees, sighing as I look up. To my surprise, Giyu was now much closer to me than before in such a short period of time from when I last caught a glimpse of him. My eyes locked with his, and I couldn't help but stare into the mans deep blue eyes. The sensation and reassurance from one glance at him filled me with the boost of hope and determination that I needed. I balled my fists and began to move my legs carefully. Giyu stepped back as he watched me pursue down the mountain. I can do this, I know I can do this. Just focus, Y/N. I know it's there, I can feel that painful touch of cold against every bit of my body, but I have to keep going. I know it's hard to breathe, and it feels like you could collapse, it may even just feel like I could die right now, but I have to keep going. I cannot be weak, in a world like this surrounded by the cruel I must become stronger. Not just for me, but...I paused in my tracks. I turned my head to see Giyu standing there with that same emotionless expression plastered against his face. I giggled to myself, happy to see that he was still there to believe in me. Giyu, I will not fail you. I promise. I will get stronger. Those eyes of his, those glistening eyes of reassurance. Can I read you? What is there to you, Giyu Tomioka? I want to know you. I want to be there for you like you are for me, for whatever reason that you are in the first place. Let me know you, let me show you who I am. What resides in me, it can reach you through my effort. Watch me, Giyu.

My arms, pushing through the thick air, began to gain momentum. There we go, I can handle this. The cold isn't as sharp anymore, I'm used to it. My legs began to move with my arms, and I began to sprint. Giyu is watching, Y/N. We need to show him what we're made of, right? Yeah. We can't have him leave us like everybody else did, we can't have him taken away. He's the last hope for us. Come on, faster! Let's run down this mountain, I can do this! I picked up speed with every piece of motivation in my mind, my feet gliding down the mountain with ease. Trees came in my path, traps surrounding me, but I could dodge each one. Shoot. Pay attention to your breathing, it's getting harder to run. No! Don't give up, Y/N. Don't focus on it. Just keep going. No...no but I can't. Giyu! I need to see Giyu. No, you can't waste your last bit of energy turning back, what if he's not there? I can feel my body shutting down slowly, my knees giving in, my lungs giving out. In and out...in...in...I forcefully turn my head, my eyes landing right on Giyu. I stare into his eyes yet again, and they refill me with the last bit of motivation I need to continue down the mountain. I jerk my head forward, and dash through the snowy mountain. I can see the bottom! I'm almost there. I did it, the air is not that foggy anymore, it's easier to breathe, I made it.

My legs slip down the edge of the mountain as I fall onto the now smooth ground. I collapse into the snow, relieved to finally be able to relax again. I gasp every few moments and struggle to breathe, reaching my arm out. "G-Giyu," I whisper. "I'm sorry."

"You did well," his deep voice spoke, the peaceful sound of it echoing through the forest. Instantly, I felt a rush of air inside of me. I could finally breathe normally again. I reached my bruised hand out further to Giyu, his proud eyes gazing at my hand. He reaches his towards mine, and for a moment I feel like I'm in paradise, even though this world is far from it. His gentle hand grasps onto mine and he lifts me up, his other hand on my back to support me as I stand. "Are you alright, Y/N?"

It was the first time I'd heard him say my name, and it had the sweetest tone I'd ever heard to it. "I'm okay, thank you," I say, taking deep breaths as I gaze around the forest. "Tomorrow, Giyu," I turn back around to face the expressionless man. "I want to train more."

"You don't have a choice either way." He states coldly, walking forward in the direction we came from. I follow behind him and chuckle to myself as I stare at his raven shaded hair.

"Ah, Giyu," I begin. "How about you?" I speed up my pace to now be walking beside him. "I want to know about you." He turns his head to face me, and I tilt mine to examine him, my hair falling to my side. "Please."

"For now let's just head home."

"Okay, Giyu. If that's what you want," I look down at the ground with a slight smile. "Let's go."