Wattpad Original
There are 6 more free parts

White's

Leo Pearce twirled his glass of port and leaned back into the cushy armchair at White's Gentleman's club. Once he had gotten comfortable, he glanced back at his companions. Will Graham, otherwise known as the prominent Lord Trotten, was giving Leo that same exasperated expression that he had all throughout their time at Oxford.

"Why do you both have to be so goddamn serious all the time, eh?"

It was good to know that some things never changed.

"For crying out loud, Leo," Will shot back. "We are trying to decide whether or not Theo should announce to the entire country that the heir to the throne is his child."

Will glanced to the side, and Leo's gaze followed to see Theo sitting in the corner brooding, his massive arms crossed over his chest. At that moment, Leo could see why so many people were hesitant around Theodore Shepard, the Duke of Kingfield.

"Effectively making her a bastard," Theo added lowly. "You know this, Farrington." Theo always liked to use Leo's title when he was trying to make a point.

It generally worked.

Leo could not help but flinch a little at the word bastard, especially when thinking about the small doe-eyed child who was barely more than a year old. After considering the predicament, Leo pointed out, "She wouldn't really be a bastard. You married the queen—Tory's mother. You are the prince consort."

Theo rolled his eyes. "Some will still label her a bastard since she was conceived out of wedlock. The entire country thinks she is Prince George's daughter." He hesitated and then added, "And you know Addie hates when you call our daughter Tory."

Leo shrugged. "The queen will manage. Tory likes it."

"Victoria is a baby. Of course she likes it," Theo argued, despite the slight amused twitch of his lips. "She smiles and laughs at everything."

Leo nudged Will in the side. "Everything except when Uncle Will holds her. Isn't that right?"

Will looked unamused, ignoring the comment. "We are getting rather far from the point."

"Fine," Leo relented with a sigh. "Remind me of the options."

"One," Will said, "Theo continues under the guise that Victoria is not his child and that she was conceived during the time that Addie was married to Prince George...before his death."

"And little Tory is not a bastard, but everyone believes her to have that ill-tempered Prince George blood in her veins?" Leo surmised.

Both men nodded.

"Option two," Theo said, "I announce that she is my daughter, conceived before George and Addie's wedding. Potentially labeling Addie as a woman of loose morals and my daughter as a bastard. But the truth is there, and Victoria will grow up knowing that I loved her and claimed her as my own. My daughter will be my daughter to the world."

Leo scoffed. "I rather think the choice has been made for you."

Theo tilted his head back and forth, seeming to know what Leo was going to say. But he said it anyway. "Obviously option one!" Leo cried.

Neither man replied.

"What does Addie think? Since it is her reputation that is at stake," Leo prompted.

"She wants the truth," Theo said simply.

Shaking his head, Leo gripped the glass in his hands tighter before taking a drink. "Why risk the truth and put your daughter and wife in such positions?"

"Because of love." Theo's words came out softly, and Will nodded.

His two friends had this look of serenity upon their faces that was simply unknown to Leo. It was an expression he was sure he had never worn before and reckoned he never would.