Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

Bet

What the bloody hell was Eades doing here? Leo thought that his relationship with Scarlett had been over for months, if not longer. Well, either it was never really over, or he was hoping to rekindle it. Otherwise, why else would the man be here?

A gentleman does not randomly call on a lady for any other reason.

Well, no man except Leo. Naturally.

Leo scowled at the butler, despite the man having no control over their new visitor. Lord Eades came rushing into the room several moments after he was announced. "Scarlett, I—" he began to say, before stopping short at the sight of Leo.

The man literally took two steps back as if Leo had pushed him.

Leo had been working on copying Theo's glare, and it appeared as though it was working.

"Oh," Eades said, "You have company."

"Come join us, Lord Eades," Scarlett purred, not missing a beat. Based on the tone of her voice, she seemed unsurprised by his arrival. Leo honestly hadn't looked at her since Eades had shown up, however, keeping his eyesight on the intruder instead.

The way the man had burst into the room so informally was...telling.

Lord Eades gave a hesitant look around before taking a seat slowly on the settee. He faced Scarlett and Leo, glancing at them with dark brown eyes that matched his short mahogany hair. He wasn't a particularly tall man and appeared to be shrinking back into the cushions.

"Lord Eades," Leo drawled, greeting him with a nod. "How nice it is to see you."

He knew his tone conveyed otherwise.

"Farrington," Eades nodded back. "A pleasure, indeed."

He wasn't fooled.

An uneasy silence followed. A stalemate of sorts.

"To what do I owe this surprise, my lord?" Scarlett asked Eades finally, her hands folded demurely in her lap. She tilted her head with interest, but Leo knew she was attempting to mask the obviousness of the situation.

"I..."

Apparently, Lord Eades was not a quick thinker.

As much as Leo enjoyed watching the viscount squirm, he decided to put him out of his misery.

"I shouldn't wish to intrude upon your visit, Lord Eades," Leo said smoothly. "Even though it seems...titillating. I will see myself out. Scarlett, thank you for the biscuits." He grinned at her, making sure to forgo the use of her title as he spoke. Her eyes flashed darkly at him in return.

"You are quite welcome, Lord Farrington," she ground out.

Scarlett began to stand, but Leo interrupted the motion.

"Like I said, I can see myself out. I wouldn't want to keep you from your guest."

Leo's smile dropped as he looked back toward Lord Eades, his mouth flattening into a thin line as he did. The man coughed a little and glanced away from Leo's gaze.

"Suit yourself, my lord. Have a pleasant day," Scarlett said, smiling brightly at Leo. Too brightly.

She was trying overly hard, and Leo saw right through it. But he did not know what it meant, so he merely nodded in response before striding to the doorway.

Exiting the room, he made his way to the front entrance to her home. Scarlett's grumpy butler was nowhere in sight, so Leo was left searching the closets for his overcoat. By the time he emerged again from that tangled mess, he heard murmured voices coming from the parlor.

icon lock

Show your support for amelie, and continue reading this story

by amelie
@amelierhys
To many, Scarlett James is known as the illustrious Lady Humphries. T...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 35 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @amelierhys.