I N T E R L U D E

[Very, very NSFW. Just saying. The following passage contains the details of straight sex, so if you don't wanna read aboot that that don't read this bit. It's not detrimental to the story flow.]

*5 Months Before*

"Babe..." I said, stroking James's chest. We were cuddled up on the sofa, watching Netflix. Which would have been fine...if it wasn't three months since the last time we had sex. "I'm really horny." I whispered the last part, using all my usuals tricks to get him titillated. He reacted like he normally does: smiling like a dork. Not a cute dork, a dork who looks like he's just been complimented by an old lady. I needed a man, not this...boy who sat before me.

"Oh, you're horny? Let's do something about that shall we?" Better. This was better; now let's go to the bedroom...or let's just stay here, still kissing on the sofa. Fine.

Five minutes. Five whole minutes of kissing on the sofa. Don't get me wrong: I like kissing. Love it, in fact. But at that very moment in time I was ridiculously horny, mainly because of the sex scene that had just played. I was ready to be fucked, not gently kissed, for fucks sake.

I wanted to give him a chance to initiate, but apparently not, so I took it upon myself to drag us both to the bedroom, upping the ante on the kissing and fondling. Then he got the idea and reciprocated.

Here's the thing: he was hard during all this. Like...what's up with that? He was hard that whole time and didn't want to go to the bedroom? I though men were sexually obsessed animals.

"You're so beautiful." He said, pushing me onto the bed. Gently.

Yeah, yeah, get on with it. "You're beautiful too." I said, then tugged of his t-shirt with a desperation that didn't match my tone.

"Oh yeah." He said as if he'd forgotten that you get naked to have sex.

He was dry humping my jeans, at least. Good sign. Then he slipped off his own jeans and socks. Excellent. The sight of his bulge was getting me even more in the mood.

"Strip me." I commanded.

"Are you sure? Erm...ok." He pulled off my top gently (fucking gently!) and then shimmied me out of my jeans. I sat up and kissed him again wrapping my legs around him as he fumbled with my bra strap. Perfecto. Smooth sailing from here, surely. Hopefully.

We clambered into bed. With my prompting he relieved me of my panties and slipped off his boxers. Hot. Super hot! Yes, look at his...muscles...or...his dick, yes! So...meh. I mean yes! Hot! I can't wait for him to get inside me! He got on top of me and I stroked his dick a bit to get him fully hard. Judging by the faces he pulled he nearly spewed right there and then.

"Condom." I said. I was on the pill too (better safe than...sorry you had a kid with someone who you aren't sure you love).

"Fuck. Yeah." He awkwardly rotated his whole body to reach the bedside table.

"Pass it to me." I said when he'd fished it out of the drawer. Last time he had spent about five minutes trying to open it with one hand while the other was busy propping himself up over me. I ripped it from its packet and rolled it onto his dick, his eyes fluttering in pleasure again. If you orgasm right now I will kick you in the balls so hard you'll wish you weren't born.

And then he was in and thrusting. Was he? I think he was in. There was definitely something happening down there...yep, there's the eye flutter; he was definitely in.

I tried my hardest to enjoy it, I really did. I tried to pull faces and everything. I even moaned a little, but the feeling just wasn't there. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I had to picture James as Shawn Mendes to stay wet. I'd never tell him any of this, obviously. It would break his little heart and that's the last thing I wanted to do.

He was a great boyfriend in other aspects. When my period came around he was an absolute life saver and he was funny and smart and kind...but he was lacking in the sex department. Severely. Detrimentally.

I watched out for the telltale signs that his climax was immanent (that look like he's about to sneeze) and then did the biggest fake orgasm of my life as he had what was probably one of the best real ones he's ever had. He slumped on top of me and then rolled over, placing the used condom on his bedside table.

Total duration of penetrative sex: 3 minutes.

"Holy shit!" He was still panting. "Babe that was amazing! What that good for you?"

"So fucking good, babe." I lied. "Amazing."

I wasn't lying to hurt him, I was lying to preserve his feelings, if not our relationship. I mean three fucking years with someone you learn what would absolutely destroy them and you hide it. This is what would obliterate James if he found out. I wished it would be better than last time, that was my one desperate hope.

It wasn't.

"I love you so much, Nina." He said minutes later.

I pretended to be asleep.