1.

As Novilar is a petsite, the pets are arguably the focal feature; that is, the main reason most players join or interact with the site at all. Pets come in a variety of species, which can be interbred with the aid of an interspecies potion. Hybrids do not exist; offspring may be either of the parent species. Pets live within a player's territory, of which there is limited space.

Lore

The ten primary species are natives of Novilar, each species blessed by its own Guardian. These species are sentient[1] and capable of wearing any universal apparel. Because each primary species is blessed with inherent magic, they are particularly suceptible to corruption.

Three additional species have since found their way to Novilar. Humans, brought forth in ever-greater quantities by the Guardians themselves to quell to the corruption; and cats and rabbits, both of which seem to have crossed through the portals unintentionally and remained feral[2], unblessed by the Guardian's magics. Because of this, they are also immune to corruption.

Acquisition

Encounters

While exploring, players may encounter either a corrupt pet or a wild pet. Although the lore and items involved differ, the overall mechanics of the encounter are the same; the player has five turns to increase the pet's chance of joining their territory. After those five turns are over, the pet will either flee, never to be seen again, or it will appear in the player's territory as their own pet.

Each species may only be encountered in its specific region (see Species, below)

Encountered pets are always first generation - that is, their parents are listed as "unknown" and they are not related to any other pet on the site (until they produce offspring).

Totems

Main article: Totem
A totem, acquired either from a Guardian quest or the crystal shop, may be used to create a new pet to one's specifications. The markings available depend on the type of totem used.

Created pets are always first generation - that is, their parents are listed as "unknown" and they are not related to any other pet on the site (until they produce offspring).

Breeding

Main article: Breeding
Breeding two pets together will produce at least one offspring whose markings and colours are randomly selected from a range between both parents.

Bred pets may also be purchased from (or sold to) other players, which is typically much cheaper than creating a pet via totem.

Breeding and purchasing pets is the most common means of acquisition, although it is much harder to acquire an exact copy of a pet created in the pet demo[3] this way.

Release

The confirmation page for pet release