part i | alive

His arms numbed with weakness, Ben gripped the edge of the rocky crevasse of the Sith layer. He channeled all the strength that he could muster at the moment he pushed up shakily from the foothold he found, wincing at the broken leg that he knew he had. Begrudgingly, Ben removed his other hand from his bleeding abdomen and clutched at the rocky precipice. He took a deep breath, preparing himself for the lift, and with grunting wince, he pulled his large body over the cliff edge.

The first thing he did was scan for Palpatine, but not even his servants were left. The massive spectator stands were empty and bodies laid everywhere. They were outlines of an immense explosion where Palpatine once stood. In the center, it was Rey that lied there, limp and unmoving. Fear washed over Ben yet again, so he tried to run to her, but his leg collapsed beneath him. He cried out in pain. As he looked up, his vision became spotty and his mind spun. He took a couple of deep breaths trying to regain his composure, and then struggled back to his feet, violently limping towards the girl who had saved him and the galaxy.

As soon as he reached her side, he collapsed to his knees, tears gathering in his eyes, for he could see from afar that he was too late. He leaned over her looking for any hint that life may still exist within her, but her pale, expressionless face and freezing hands said otherwise. Her cold, blue eyes stared up at him, absent of the passionate ferocity and optimism that he admired so much about her. How could he have been so stupid? He had known that they were bound by the force, but for how long did he run from it? For how long did he try to pull her to his side—the wrong side. As he pulled her over his own dying body, he began to panic, tears of dread slipping down his cheeks.

What if he were to live? Could he do it without her? No. No, he could not even imagine it. He could remember life without her. He would have to run. The galaxy would hunt him down and kill him anyway. Even as a boy, he had always felt Rey's presence. She was always there with him. Now she was gone and he had never felt so empty. He glanced around to room for someone.. for anyone. But he was yet again reminded that all he had was Rey. It was always Rey. Now that she was gone, he had no one.

Why couldn't it have been him? For her, the efforts were all in vain. She would never be able to harvest the fruits of her venture. It wasn't fair.

But then, Ben realized: they shared a life force. A part of him has died with Rey. But she didn't have to die. Not when part of her existed within him. His body was dying anyway. No need to waste life energy on it.

Ben loosened his grip on her and touched her cold face before pressing his hand to her heart. With all the concentration he couple muster through his blinding pain, he transferred the remainder of his life force energy to Rey. Ben felt the life spark again within her. Her limp hand filled with color and grasped the hand he held over her chest. Ben looked up to her face which was beaming with happiness. Her eyes held that ferocious optimism that he loved and her bright smiled lit up the room.

Ben could not contain his happiness, but he was afraid to show it. He hadn't remembered the last time he wanted to smile and wrap his arms around another person. He was afraid to act on it. He had hurt her so much. He had caused her so much grief. Given her so much hope and cast it away. And she was the other one that kept coming black. The only one who always saw the best in him. She never gave up. He loved her for that.

"Ben!" She breathed, smiling even bigger. Ben allowed small smiled on his face, but he couldn't stop thee tears of happiness from spilling. Rey did the same. They stared at each other for what felt like years, even if it was only seconded. Rey then did something that Ben never thought would have happened in a million years. She inhaled deeply and pressed her full lips to his, kissing him. Ben felt his life slipping away, so he did not waste any time being surprised. He wrapped his arm around her and pulled her closer, kissing her back. He felt her gentle, calloused hands holding his cheeks and running through his hair. He supporters her face with his other hand and stroked her wet cheek with his thumb, caked in dried blood.