The Mistake

Reese's POV

Mom had told me Dad was coming over tonight because they were going on a date for the first time. I walked across the hallway and knocked on Mom's closed door.

"Come in." She responded.

I opened the door and saw a light coming from the bathroom. Mom came out wearing a dark red, floor-length dress and her makeup done.

"You look pretty, Mama."

"Thank you, baby. I'm gonna be honest Sweetie, I'm nervous about this date. I know your father, it's just I haven't been on a date since before I had you. I'm scared something will happen to me."

"Why are you scared something will happen? Daddy would protect you." I reasoned.

"I'm scared because of how I became pregnant with you. I'll tell you more details when you're older."

Soon, we heard the doorbell ring. I ran downstairs to answer it, excited to see Dad.

"Hi, Dad." I greeted.

"Hi, Reese. Where's your Mom?"

"She's almost done getting ready. You know, she's scared about being on this date."

Just because I'm 6, doesn't mean I can't tell my Dad what's wrong with MY Mom.

"Why's that?" He asked picking me up and sitting in a chair with me on his lap.

"Because she told me about the night she got pregnant with me."

He sat there, shocked.

"She told you? Well, there's more to it than that, I was doing some bad things back then and I made a mistake."

After we had been talking about this for a while, Mom came down fully ready to leave. Mom came over and kissed my cheek.

"Grandpa will be here soon. You can have dinner and play the night away." Mom told me happily.

Ashla's POV

After Dad had gotten to our house, I and Derrick left for our dinner. I was nervous the entire ride to the restaurant.

"Look Ashla. I know you're scared about being alone with me tonight but I promise you we'll be fine. I'm not gonna harm you in any way." Derrick assured me.

"I know. It's just all in my head."

After dinner
9:30 PM

When we had dinner and were leaving the restaurant, Derrick had dropped me off at my house. However, he did walk me to the door while holding my hand. I didn't even register that he was doing that.

Until he carried me inside the house. Anything after that was a blur.