Chapter 47 - Recovery

Allan pulled the reins as he and Meg got near Matilda's hut, and he closed his eyes, taking a deep breath.
He was afraid.
He was terrified at the thought of joining the others and receiveing the news of Gisborne's death.
Allan dismounted and he looked at the girl, seeking comfort. Meg also seemed to be on the verge of tears, but she managed to offer him a trembling smile of encouragement.
Allan took her hand, grateful for her presence.
He didn't know what to think of the kiss they had exchanged in the barn, but at that moment he was too upset to think about it. Meg was next to him and her company helped him not to break down, for the moment it was enough.
They joined the others, who were sitting around a fire with a grim air.
Archer stared at the flames, and Marian sat on a log beside Robin, trembling, while the outlaw tried to comfort her, but he himself looked dejected.
Allan approached, but he couldn't speak.
He knew he should ask about Guy, but he couldn't.
It was Meg who did it for him, addressing Robin.
"Are there any... news?"
It was Archer who answered.
"Matilda said he wouldn't pass the night, but the sun has risen a good while ago and still she hasn't told us anything.
Allan and Meg also sat around the fire.
They could only wait.
After a seemingly endless time, they heard the healer's footsteps along the path and each of them had the impression that the temperature had dropped suddenly.
Matilda appeared among the trees and she approached them, near enough to talk, but not enough to risk bringing any infection.
Five pairs of eyes focused on her, but no one dared to ask the question they all feared. Marian, sitting next to Robin, seemed about to faint and Matilda turned to her.
"I believe I have never seen a patient more courageous and obstinate than your man, Lady Marian. He clung to life with all his strength, even when he no longer had any..."
Marian burst into tears and interrupted her.
"That's enough! I don't want to hear any more! Just tell me if he died quietly! If at least he was in peace!"
"Oh, now for sure he is." The healer's face opened in a smile. "Only, he's not dead at all."
Matilda waited for a few seconds while the other five absorbed the news and she saw a glimmer of hope lighting up in their eyes, but nobody had the courage to express it, for fear of being wrong.
"Is Guy alive?" Marian finally whispered. "Really?"
"He no longer has a fever and now he is sleeping. He's very weak and he will need a lot of time to recover completely, but if he doesn't suffer a relapse, he will survive."
"Robin?" Marian looked at the outlaw. "Tell me that I heard right, that I'm not fooling myself."
Robin Hood smiled at her.
"She said he'll get better."
Marian jumped up.
"I have to see him!"
Matilda shook her head decisively.
"It isn't possible. For a couple of weeks, at least. He is better and he hopefully will recover, but he could still spread contagion. I can't let him see anyone until I'm sure there's no danger."
Robin put a hand on Marian's shoulder to curb any possible protest.
"It makes sense to me. For the moment let us be content with knowing that he will be fine."
Matilda approved his words with a nod.
"It's getting cold and you spent the night outdoors, now go home before you get sick too. Don't worry about your friend, I'll take care of him, but if he didn't die tonight, I really think he won't have too many problems to heal completely."
Marian nodded.
"Please tell him that I love him and that I will wait for him for as long as necessary," she said, deeply moved.
Matilda cast a curious glance at Robin, surprised to see that he wasn't disturbed at all by the girl's words. Once those two had been in love, but apparently the situation had really changed.
Gisborne had told her that he and Marian would get married and that Robin felt no grudge for that, but only now that she saw the outlaw with her eyes, she could completely believe in Guy's words.
Archer stood up, stretching his back carelessly.
"Well, for me it's time to go back to the castle." He turned to Matilda with an amused smile. "Give Guy a message from me: tell him he's an idiot. And that when he gets better, I will repeat it to him a few dozen times in person."
Matilda burst out laughing.
"It will be a pleasure." She said and she stood watching Archer, Robin and Marian mounting on their horses to leave. She waited until they were gone, then she looked at the other two who had remained quietly apart: the girl wept openly with tears of joy and she held Allan's hand in hers, while the young man was staring at the trunk of a tree, his eyes bright with tears.
The healer sensed that Allan didn't want to show his emotion in front of the others and, in order not to embarrass him further, she turned to him and Meg in a rough tone.
"Do you have any message for Gisborne? Come on, hurry up, it's cold and I have no time to waste."
"Tell him we're all happy that he's alive," Meg said, smiling between tears. Matilda guessed from her gaze that she wanted to say more, but she knew she couldn't do it.
"What about you?"
Allan looked at her and he cleared his throat.
"What Meg said. And tell him that he shouldn't worry about Knighton because I'll take care of it until he gets well."
The healer nodded and she turned away from them, leaving them alone.
It was only when she returned to the hut that Allan dropped to his knees, bursting into tears of relief.
Meg hugged him without saying anything.