04. MARCUS

January 15th 2015

The water dripped down the window, colliding with another droplet which results in an even bigger raindrop to eventuate. It was a droplet among millions on my kitchen window, all rushing to reach the pane at the bottom.

It must be raining outside.

Looking past the raindrops and out of the misty window, I saw the rain plummeting down towards the ground and the many unfortunate people who were left no choice but to bare out in the rain as they had no home or shelter to run towards. It seemed that the clouds above had decided to shower us with a reminder that they were up there, ready to strike at the most unexpected of times. Unlike many other people, I was lucky that I had an abundant amount of money, nice clothes and a roof over my head. I may not be happy at the moment, but I was still grateful for all the things that I did have. And that was something that my wife taught me.

I huffed and finished washing the plate I had ate my dinner on. After drying it with a dish cloth I set it down on the rack with all the other dishes; dishes that I no longer needed seeing as I lived alone and had no other family.

They were of no use to me anymore. There was absolutely no need or reason to keep them, but I just couldn't bring myself to get rid of anything. If I were to change something or throw it away, then I would feel like I was moving on and leaving Alexis as a mere memory of the past.

To me, she was so much more than just a memory.

After the passing of my wife all those years ago, Alexis had become my entire world.

And now my world was gone.

Leaning back against the kitchen counter with a beer in hand, I sighed.

I lived a lonely life.

When my wife died, things were hard but I was able to live and move on because I had my baby girl with me, helping me along the way. I had Alexis to live for.

But now she was gone. So, what did I have to live for anymore?

Alexis was my life after my wife died. My little girl became everything to me. She may have moved out of the house to pursue her dreams and to live with Caylus, but she still visited and I saw her a few times over the period of a week. She would call me up nearly every day and we would talk.

But when she died, my life changed. It was just so empty, as if my life no longer held any sort of purpose. Never did a moment pass without me feeling like this.

I was lonely, and that was why I headed to bed at 8.17pm on a Friday evening, because I had nothing better to do.

No friends and family, just a house full of all the materialistic pleasures that paper notes could buy.

After rolling around in bed for half an hour trying to get comfy so I could succumb to the sleep, I finally gave in to the urge and grabbed the brown book off my bedside table. I had been thinking of it since I had left the office earlier, and while I was curious to read my daughter's diary, I was nervous of the secrets that I would discover.

Grabbing my glasses with one hand and flicking through the pages with the other to where I had left off earlier, I started reading.

-

You can wait for the next chapter which will be uploaded on 26/01/2020

OR

You can read the next couple of chapters, for FREE on Inkitt! Just search 'Half of a Love Story' or use this link: https://inkitt.app.link/RA__illuminating_

The link can also be found on my Wattpad profile.

Layla Knight

04/01/2020