Prologue

Henry Walsh raised his arm and slapped me across the cheek. I felt a red mark forming and my cheek stung. "That was for daring to speak of your mother," he hissed.

My father beat me for a number of things. Whenever I mentioned mother, whenever I disobeyed him, and worse, if he felt like it.

I ran up to my bedroom and closed the door. Katherine was sitting on my bed reading one of my books. She looked up to see me and asked, "What's wrong? Why is your cheek red? Don't tell me you ran into something again, Adelaide."

I shook my head. "I need your help getting me out of here. I can't live here anymore. Since my mother died, my father has been a terror to live with. Please, Katherine! I'm worried for my own safety!"

Katherine stood up. "Okay, okay. Calm down. I'll help you escape."

She rummaged through my wardrobe and found a pair of pants, a shirt, and a rope. "Put these on and I'll work on getting the rope out the window."

I quickly put the clothes on and hugged Katherine. "I'll see you soon. I promise. It may be awhile, but I know we'll see each other again."

"I know we will. Stay safe and I'll figure out a cover, okay?"

"You're the best. I cannot thank you enough."

"You can thank me by escaping and finding a safe place to live."

"I will. Goodbye."

Katherine smiled. "Goodbye, Adelaide."

I climbed out the window and as soon as I was on the ground, Katherine pulled up the rope and closed the window. I ran through the streets and camped in a random alley.

A few days later, I was running on little to no food and could feel myself growing weaker. My clothes were dirty and were already starting to tear.

As I was sitting in the alley, trying to figure out my next meal, I saw a young crippled boy selling newspapers. I called out to him, praying he'd hear me. By luck, he came over to me and asked what my name was. I shook my head. I didn't want to give my name out just yet. He said he would return shortly and ran off.

Jack's POV:

Crutchie came as fast as he could over to me. "What are ya doin' here? This is my sellin' spot."

"I know Jack, but there's someone who needs help and I thinks you could help 'em."

"Who is it?" I asked.

Crutchie motioned for me to follow and he led me to an alley where a small blonde girl was layin', lookin' like she'd passed out.

"I don't know her name, but she needs help."

"Well, she's still alive. I'll take her back to the Lodging House. Maybe Kloppman can help her. Take the rest of my papes?"

Crutchie nodded and took them as I picked up the girl in my arms. She was really light and that worried me a little. Chances were she wasn't gettin' much food.

I walked up the stairs in the Lodging House and Kloppman was at his desk. "I need your help. Crutchie found her. Is there something you can give her to help her?"

"Lay her down on one of the beds," Kloppman ordered.

I laid her down and eventually, she opened her eyes. I offered her some of the bread I had stuffed in my pockets and she scarfed it down. "What's your name?"

She began looking around wildly. "The guy who found you is sellin' papes. I won't hurt you. I'm a friend of his. The name's Jack Kelly."

She smiled slightly. "Adie Gray."

"Nice to meet you Adie Gray. Say; how's about you rest up here for awhile and we can talk about gettin' you a job later. Maybe you can sell papes with us."

Slowly, she began gettin' better and she joined us in sellin' papes. Turns out, she was a natural.

"Extra! Extra! Drowning child miraculously saved!" She called.

Folks were buyin' pape after pape. When she'd sold her last one, I walked over to her. "You're a natural!"

She smiled. "I'm used to lying. Perhaps more used to it than most."

"Ain't we all," I muttered. "Hey, you know what I say when I meet a good newsie?"

She shook her head and I grinned. "Born to the breed. That's what you are, Adie Gray!"

She wrapped her arms around me and exclaimed, "I can't thank you enough for this job, Jack!"

"Alright, alright," I said as I brushed her off. "You don't have to thank me. It's the least I can do to help."

There were a lot of questions I had. Who was this girl? What was her real name? Where did she come from?

Those questions would be answered another day I figured.

Adie's POV:

That night, I fell asleep in my bed in the Lodging House. I began tossing and turning shortly after I fell asleep, which means the nightmares had begun. Despite that I've been away from home for a few months now, nightmares of what my father did plagued me in the dead of night.

Jack was the only one who was able to comfort me. I jolted awake and quietly made my way to the rooftop where he slept with Crutchie.

Crutchie was fast asleep, but Jack was still awake. Probably dreamin' about Santa Fe again.

He saw me and smiled, but I burst into tears. He looked confused as I put my head in his lap and sobbed. He stroked my hair gently and when I calmed down, he asked, "Wanna talk about it?"

"It was my father, again," I answered softly.

Jack's expression hardened. "Any guy who does that to a child, especially his daughter, shouldn't be allowed to have children." Then, his expression softened. "You're safe here, princess. You'll always be safe here."

I smiled as I sat up and looked at him. "Princess?"

He nodded. "Yeah. That's your nickname. Everyone has one, and yours is princess. You like it?"

I gave him a wide smile and nodded my head. "I love it. It fits."

Jack kissed the top of my head endearingly. "Sleep well, princess. We got a big day ahead of us."

The next morning, after selling newspapers, we made our way to the theater. Jack wanted to introduce me to someone.

I saw a woman in the prettiest pink dress I'd ever seen. She turned and smiled when she saw Jack.

"Jack Kelly!" She cried. "And who might this beautiful young lady be?"

Jack smiled. "This is Adie Gray. She's a new newsie of mine. Adie, this is Miss Medda. She sings here and is the greatest star in the bowery."

Miss Medda smiled. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Adie. You're welcome here anytime. This is a safe place for newsies."

Later, after we'd sold the evening papers, I was on the rooftop talking with Jack and Crutchie and eventually found myself falling asleep.

The last thing I heard before I fell asleep was Jack kissing the top of my head in a protective way and whispering, "Good night, princess."