Something to Believe In

I stepped out from my corner, pushed him, and ran off to the rooftop.

Katherine was already up there. "How'd you find this place?"

"Specs showed me the way. Is this the Refuge?" Katherine wondered.

"Yeah. It is. You better go 'fore Jack comes back."

"I have the feeling you two need to talk things out. Good luck."

"Thanks. See ya later."

Sure enough, Jack appeared shortly after Katherine left. He saw me lookin' through his drawings. He grabbed them and asked angrily, "When's it ever okay to look through my stuff without askin'?"

"I saw 'em rolled up and I wanted to look at one. Look, I know the Refuge is bad, but we'll get Crutchie out of there."

"I'm sure it's a lot less nice than where you grew up, Miss Princess."

Ouch.

"Look, I know you stole food and clothes for us. For me. Why would you turn your back on them boys now if you were willin' to go to jail for 'em earlier?"

"You are not one to be talkin' about turnin' on folks! Workin' with Pulitzer's daughter?!"

"I never turned on you or anyone else."

"No, you just double-crossed us to your father. Your father!"

"Through Snyder, my father has eyes all over the city. I didn't lie to you. I just didn't quite tell you everything."

"Like it or not, you're my best friend. But if you weren't and if you weren't a girl, you'd be tryin' to talk with a fist in your mouth!"

"I told you I ran away from home, and I did. I told you my nickname is Adie, and it is. I gave you a last name I gave myself after I left. You never asked my real one."

"I wouldn't think I had to, unless I knew I was dealin' with a backstabber!"

"And if I were a boy, you'd be wishin' the Delanceys beat ya instead!"

"Go ahead. Give me your best shot, princess."

Instead of clobberin' him like I wanted to, I kissed him.

"What?"

"I needed to know you felt the same way."

"I do. I always have. You heard Pulitzer, it don't matter how many days we strike. He ain't ever giving up. I don't know what else we can do."

"I do," I smiled.

"Come on." He sighed.

"Really, Jack? I can't have a good idea? I mean it ain't my idea alone, but Katherine and I can't have a good idea?"

"I didn't say nothin' abou--"

"Now would be a good time to shut up and listen," I interrupted. "Bein' boss don't mean you know or have all the answers, just enough brains to recognize a good one."

"I'm listening," Jack said.

"Good. The strike was your idea, the rally was Davey's and Katherine's and my idea will take us to the finish line. Whaddya think?"

"The Children's Crusade."

"Think, Jack. If we publish this, the combined work of Katherine and I, and used one of your drawings, and if every worker under 21 read it and stayed home--or went to Newsies Square for a rally. A general city-wide strike. Pulitzer couldn't ignore that and my fadder wouldn't go anywhere near there."