1: I'm Home

The old silent streets of Aurumburg looked no different from his memory as a child. Wyndell hadn't seen these warn sidewalks and flickering street lights in decades, yet nothing seemed to have changed. Familiar house passed him like ghosts. Existing but not welcoming him.

Before he knew it, he was at a familiar doorstep. Familiar enough to be called home, yet it still felt so distant. The building didn't feel the same now that he was close enough to touch it. The old walls wouldn't creak or cry like he'd remembered. His hair was short and wavy. Would she recognize him...? Time had felt so slow until now. He felt so old and tired in a beat up pair of jeans, a lazy black shirt, and red converse that had holes in them. Same attire but over 30 years later. He wondered, would he have even recognized himself if he showed up on his own door?

He knocked a few times and pulled out his cell phone when nothing but a hollow echo responded. The phone was old, he never really had a use for it other than an emergency. It had memories that he'd probably want to update and release.

He sent two texts.

One to Annie, his beloved Cousin: "I'm home.. Are you..?"

And another to a boy dear to his heart: "I love you. It wasn't your fault, I promise."

The two would be waking up soon in that old, dusty, trailer he'd called home a few hundred miles away. His chest felt like he'd stuffed it just to keep himself from collapsing. He knocked a second time, the visuals and all too tangible memories strangling him with memories that felt so long ago.

Annie had always been a free spirit. Her life goal was to travel the world, nothing to anchor her down, not relationships and not family. Yet she still wasn't the type to turn away someone in need. It was a late night, magical music booming over the radio as her phone buzzed. The only time her phone flickered at that time of day was when Jared was bothering her.

She checked it despite hating him sometimes, she quickly slapped the music off and re-read it once again. "I'm home... are you..?" She immediately called him.

"Wynd!? What do you mean you are home...? I havn't been home in like two years babe," there was softness in her voice as she frowned. What had happened, why would Wynd not be on the road with the others. Something had to have happened. Annie had always been a calm presence, even when distressed she sounded like an angel.

The phone was held tightly to his ear. He sounded tired and overall done with life. "Yeah? Harley's got a wife and.. Three? Three kids now.." He laughed hollowly as he left a clenched fist against the door. Annie could almost hear his heart breaking through the phone. "Any idea where I can find a quick place to rest and get on my feet?" He tried not to sound too desperate, but he wasn't ready to be homeless.

Annie tapped on the steering wheel patiently, scanning her mental list of contacts and associates who she'd trust with her fragile and beloved baby cousin. "Hmm... the only one I know in town at this time of day is... ah just stay there. I'll send someone to come get you! Don't worry love I got you. It'll take me a few days... but well maybe a few weeks to get back to town. Are you okay? I can try to get a flight instead...." She practically lived in her car now but she was willing to leave it at an airport if it meant his well being. He had come to her home so many years ago fragile and broken. It had been a long time since she heard him sound like this.

"I'm fine. Thanks for always being there, Annie." He sounded as heartfelt as a forty year old, broken man with no sense of identity could. "Can you apologize to this person for me? I know it's... late." He let out a deep, low sigh as he didn't even have the energy to say goodbye. He hung up, shivering in the cold air that ripped at his skin with every breath of wind.