🎵~3

🎶Even when the day comes ~ Nico & Vinz

Tara Afua Henrie

"Taaara, wake up!"

I pushed my face into the pillow instead. "Go away, Pam!" It came out muffled, but hopefully, she'd get the message.

The sound of receding footsteps and the door slamming shut had me smiling into my pillow. Another hour of sleep should be enough for me.

I had just drifted off into a light slumber when my ears were suddenly blown away by a loud air horn. As I jerked off my bed and onto the carpeted floor, my heart leaped in my chest, and it didn't help when I lifted my head to find Pam laughing her heart out.

"It's not funny!" I growled.

"Depends on which side you're on." She choked out in between laughs. "You should've seen your face."

Pushing myself up, I shot her a glare. This was a terrible way to start the day.

"Morning, little sis," Pam greeted me as if she hadn't given me a miniature heart attack a few minutes ago. "I came by to give you this." She held up a clothing hanger with two different fabrics.

I raised an eyebrow. "What is that?"

"Your uniform." Pam smiled.

"What?" My eyes widened. "You never said anything about wearing a uniform!"

She rolled her eyes dramatically. "Really? You actually thought you'd work in my restaurant wearing your regular clothes?"

I nodded. "Yeah. Some restaurants do that, don't they?"

"Not mine, T." She thrust the hanger into my hands. "Get ready. We're leaving at seven-thirty." And with that, she exited my room.

I sighed. God, please don't make me regret this decision to work for Pam.

Dropping the uniform on my bed, I grabbed my shower bag and hurried to the bathroom. Twenty minutes later, I stood in front of the full-length mirror, sporting a crisp white short-sleeve shirt with the name Originally Afro-Mex stitched on my left breast pocket and a black pencil skirt at the bottom. The skirt was too tight, clinging to my hips and thighs like a second skin. Plus, it made my butt look way too big. I couldn't go waitressing in this! Even sitting was a problem. I tried doing squats to get a little freedom, but as my knees bent and my thighs opened up, the rhythmic sound of fabric splitting in two filled my ears. I froze for a minute before slowly standing upright and facing the mirror.

Crap.

The slit at the bottom had paved a way up and ended right under the zip, exposing my panties.

"Oh well, pencil skirts aren't my thing anyway." I pushed the torn fabric off my legs, tossing it somewhere, then rummaged through my clothing for a pair of black pants and pulled them on instead. Gathering my braids into a ponytail, I slipped my feet into a pair of Converse sneakers. With a satisfied nod at my reflection in the mirror, I grabbed my bag and headed downstairs.

"Woooo, here comes the flyest waitress in town," Nando cheered as I modeled into the kitchen.

"You look nice, Auntie T," Keke complimented after I'd given them a twirl.

"Thank you."

Nando and Keke sat at the round dining table, already dressed in their respective uniforms. Nando, sporting his dark blue Policía Federal uniform, and Keke wearing a yellow button-down dress with her school crest attached to her left breast pocket. She looked so adorable with her cute pigtails.

Pam stood in front of the stove in the same outfit as me, though her skirt fitted perfectly, drawing out her wide hips and butt. When she turned around, the smile on her face disappeared.

"Oh no, no, no." She moved towards me, gripping a spatula. "What happened to the skirt?"

"It ripped," I replied with indifference.

"Well, you should've told me!" She fumed. "I could've found a replacement."

"It's fine."

"No, it's not!" Frowning, she ordered, "Go upstairs and change."

"What!" I gave her an incredulous look. "Why?"

"Because pants..." she pointed at them with the spatula, "aren't acceptable. The restaurant has a strict uniform policy."

"Relax, Pam," Nando chipped in, "she still looks professional."

"No, she doesn't!" Pam snapped back before letting her eyes scan me over. When she opened her mouth to speak again, I thought she would drop the whole pants debacle, but instead, she said, "Tuck in your shirt."

I shook my head. "Nah. I prefer it th-"

"Tuck. In. Your. Shirt, Tara!"

I looked to Nando for help, but he just glared at Pam--who was too busy scowling at me to notice--then shook his head in disbelief before drinking from his mug.

Ignoring the fact that Pam looked and sounded a lot like Mama right now--they did have a lot in common--I reluctantly pushed the ends of my shirt into my pants. Pam was just five years older than me, but sometimes it felt like it was twenty instead.

The tension still sat in the kitchen until the sudden ring of the telephone in the living room broke it.

"I'll get it." Nando stood up, his police boots thumping on the tiled floor as he exited the kitchen.

Pam continued to glare at me until I was done, then she sized me up and gave a satisfied nod before returning to the stove. I pulled a face behind her, which had Keke giggling.

I plopped down next to my niece at the dining table, and that was when I noticed the variety of cereal boxes. "All bran, Weetabix, what's this?... Fiber One?" I gaped at my niece. "Don't you have any good cereals like Coco pops or Fruit loops?"

Keke shook her head, pigtails swishing at the sides. "Nope. Mamá says that kind of cereal grows teeth-eating monsters in your mouth."

"Woow," I managed to say in between laughs. "The interesting lies you tell a five-year-old."

Pam abruptly turned around, heading towards us with a plate of toast, scrambled eggs, and a frown. "Look, if you're not fine with the cereals, there's a tin of Nescafé in the top left cabinet. You can have that."

"I gladly will," I replied with a smirk, earning me a slap on the back.

As I made myself a cup of coffee and stole toast from Pam's plate at the dining table, Nando wandered in, shrugging on his jacket. "Come on, Princesa, time for school. Pam, I might stay late at work, so can you please pick Keke up from school."

"Of course, cariño." She drew closer to give him a brief kiss on the lip. "Have a great day."

"You too, hun," he smiled.

"See you later, Auntie T." Keke grabbed her Dora the explorer backpack.

"Sure, Keke."

"And try to have a super awesome first day by ignoring your sister's nagging." Nando ruffled my hair.

"I don't nag!" Said sister countered, and I laughed.

"Will do, Nando."

"Good." "Bye, guys." he scooped up Keke.

"Byee." I waved from my spot at the dining table. Pam followed them out, wishing them a final goodbye in the car before returning to the kitchen.

Her eyes immediately went to her plate of toast, and when she found it empty, her frowning gaze shifted to me. "Did you steal my toast?."

"Yes," I happily tossed the last bit into my mouth with a wide smile.

She pulled off a kitchen napkin from her shoulder and swatted me hard.

"Ow!"

"Get your ass in the car."

*****
Hii, everyone. Who wants a sister like Pam😆?

Thanks for reading