02. THE BLACK SHEEP RETURNS

CHAPTER TWO
THE BLACK SHEEP RETURNS

"ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THIS?" Juliette asked as Ransom pulled up in front of the large house

"ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THIS?" Juliette asked as Ransom pulled up in front of the large house. She placed a hand on his thigh and gave it a comforting squeeze. He refused to be questioned the day prior and he didn't even go to the funeral with her, claiming it to be too much for him. She wasn't sure if going to the will reading—where his family would undoubtedly harass him—was the greatest idea.

Ransom said nothing as he parked and cut the engine. He turned to her and placed a quick kiss on her cheek. "Let's get this over with."

Ransom got out of the car first, heading over to the passenger side to help Juliette out. But Juliette hopped out of her seat before he could reach her, spouting words about how she was pregnant, not dying. Harlan's dogs ran up to them, barking when they approached Ransom. Juliette smiled and called them over, crouching down to pet them. When she stood, she noticed the two men in suits standing on the porch in front of the door. They were the officers that questioned the family the other day—Lieutenant Elliot and Trooper Wagner.

"Hugh Drysdale?" they asked as Ransom walked up to the door. Juliette let go of her husband's hand and slowed her pace behind him.

"Call me Ransom," he said, "it's my middle name. Only the help call me Hugh."

"Uh, this is Trooper Wagner," the first man said as the second waved. "I'm Lieutenant Elliot." Ransom stopped before the door and turned around. Lieutenant Elliot continued, "We just want to ask a few questions."

Ransom gave his wife a questioning look. She shook her head, signalling him not to bother. He raised his eyebrows and turned to enter the house.

Juliette's presence caused the men to look away from Ransom's retreating figure. "Mrs. Drysdale," they greeted. "We didn't get to finish speaking with you before the memorial yesterday."

Juliette scoffed and pushed her sunglasses up so that they sat on top of her head. "You didn't finish questioning me is what I think you mean," she corrected as she walked past them. "Or is 'interrogate' a better word to use?"

She followed after her husband and entered the house, ignoring Wagner's protests. "Excuse me," he shouted, following her. "Sir? Ma'am? We're officers of the law!"

Juliette laughed as she entered the room Ransom was in. Wagner reminded her of a stray puppy. "You gonna run us in?"

"I don't feel like talking," Ransom added, "I'm distraught."

When they failed to find the rest of the Thrombey family, they turned around, leaving to check the next room over. When Ransom saw the small group of four crowding by the door, he let out an irritated sigh. "Alright, what is this? What is this arrangement?"

"Mr. Drysdale," a man mused. He had a southern accent and wore glasses and a long wool jacket. Juliette recognized him as the P.I. investigating Harlan's death.