01. JULIETTE AND THE PRIVATE EYE

CHAPTER ONE
JULIETTE AND THE PRIVATE EYE

CHAPTER ONEJULIETTE AND THE PRIVATE EYE

"UH... JULIETTE REYES?"

The woman looked away from Meg as Lieutenant Elliot called her name. She stood slowly, her hair swaying behind her. With a raised eyebrow and mischief sparkling in her eyes, she strutted towards the library doors. Her heels clicked against the hardwood floor leaving behind an echo as she disappeared into the room to be questioned.

"It's Drysdale, actually," Juliette said with a sickly sweet tone. She crossed her arms and sat down, giving Elliot a smirk. She nodded towards the couch across from her. "Well, sit down. Let's get this over with."

"As you know, I am Lieutenant Elliot." He pointed to the man behind him and sat down. "That's Trooper Wagner."

"Yeah, I know." Juliette rolled her eyes. "Why are we doing this again? You already questioned us after the funeral." She lifted a leg and crossed it over the other. Her eyes flickered over to the unknown man lounging by the piano. "And who's that?"

"Benoit Blanc is a private investigator—"

"A P.I.?" Juliette scoffed, fixing her gaze on the detective.

Elliot let out a tired sigh. Juliette was second to last person being questioned and Harlan's family was certainly a handful. "I'm just going to record, is that okay?" He didn't wait for a response. "We're here with Juliette Drysdale, née Reyes, Harlan Thrombey's granddaughter-in-law, in discussing the events that took place the night of his demise, one week ago, on November 8th."

"Mrs. Drysdale, it is our understanding that you were friends of the family's before your marriage to Harlan's grandson, Ransom. Is that correct?"

"That's correct." Juliette said curtly. Picking at the hem of her skirt, she looked around the room aimlessly.

"And how did you meet the family?"

"Harlan and my grandfather were close friends," she answered. Her eyes fell to the floor. "After my grandfather's death, Harlan reached out to me. Soon after, I met Ransom. The Thrombeys have been there for me ever since."

"They must've been happy to find out you and Ransom were getting married."

"They sure were," Juliette mused. She knew it was a lie. The truth was that the pair eloped in Las Vegas and the family didn't find out until months later. They weren't the happiest at first, but they came around after Harlan voiced his support.

Blanc hit a key on the piano causing Juliette to tilt her head. She gave him a puzzled look as Wagner leaned forward in his seat. "And where is your husband right now, miss?" he questioned.

The young woman brought her hand to her stomach and her attention to the officers. "Ransom's at home putting together baby furniture."

Elliot and Wagner's eyes shifted down to her baby bump. "How far along are you?"