Chapter 1

Quiet. Calm. Peaceful. That was how Izuku Midoriya felt as the ocean breeze cooled his skin. He inhaled the fresh salty air with a content sigh, glancing up at the moon. All the stars shone through in the darkness, but none compared to the one twinkling above the moon that kept his attention.

Izuku Midoriya was a sailor; a young traveler under Torino Shipping, who had seen plenty of the world, but wanted more. He wanted to see everything, enough to last a thousand lifetimes. He wanted to know the beauty of the oceans and lands that he traveled between, and this job fit perfectly for that dream.

But that wasn't all he dreamed of.

Midoriya took in the scent of the ocean again and leaned on the ship's side rail, not noticing the footsteps coming up behind him. Sure, visions of the world and prospects of fortune were grand, but nothing could hold a candle to the girl waiting for him in Musutafu.

"Couldn't sleep?"

Midoriya didn't turn around, but his eyes trailed back down towards his left, nodding at the red headed first mate, Eijirou Kirishima. Kirishima leaned on the rail as well, whistling into the wind. Midoriya shook his head and smiled at the man he considered his friend.

"No, I couldn't. And you?"

"Nope."

Midoriya pursed his lips and looked away, letting his eyes move back up to the night sky. Eijirou Kirishima was never one for small talk, especially around Midoriya. Although Kirishima was first mate, Midoriya easily climbed the ladder of social standing inside Torino Shipping, and grew closer to their ship's Captain each time they set sail.

"I should ask, how is Sir doing?"

Kirishima shrugged and pulled out his tobacco pipe, striking a match against the ship's rail. The smoke immediately blew into Midoriyas face, and the young lad waved his hand lazily to brush away the intoxicating smell.

" 'm not sure, you haven't checked on him in a while?"

"But you're the first mate.."

"So?"

Kirishimas eyes narrowed and he looked off into the distance, blowing the smoke out of his nose, this time away from Midoriya.

"Just because 'm first mate, doesn't mean 'm close enough to know how he's doing. He tells me nothing."

Midoriya's eyebrows tightened in concern, his gaze shifting from the star that mesmerized him to the dark waters of the night sea. Regardless of the negativity poisoning Kirishima's words, he was telling the truth. Mirai Sasaki, or as Midoriya always called him, Sir, had been dealing with a failing health since their last shipment. He confided in Midoriya, rarely speaking of his sickness to the others on board. Of course Kirishima wouldn't know, and Midoriya's face flushed with embarrassment.

"I'll go check on Sir then. Rest well, Kirishima."

The first mate grunted a farewell and turned around to face the ocean, still smoking his pipe as Midoriya made his way towards the captain's quarters. It was the middle of the night, but Sir was often awake at this time, double checking over their schedule and scanning for shortcuts, anything to hasten their routes.

Midoriya skipped down the set the stairs and quickly made his way down the hall, tapping the wooden door with his knuckles.

Silence.

He knocked again, longer and louder than before.

Still nothing?

He called out for his Captain, politely inviting himself inside.