Chapter 29: My garden

Sorry for the wait guys, I've had a huge mind block.
Back to present day:
"So, that's what happened. I packed my bags before you got out of the hospital, and made sure you wouldn't have to see me again..."

Katsuki was sitting across from Ochako on the bed, his legs crossed and one hand on his mouth.
She mirrored him, but kept her hands in her lap. He closed his eyes while he sighed and messed up his hair.
"So you left...because you were afraid I'd keep getting hurt?"
He laughed while he said it and rubbed at his eyes. Ochako creased her brows in worry and moved closer to him.
"I was in so much pain when you left me, Ochako. When I got home and there was no trace of you...I almost lost it. I had to throw out our sheets because I couldn't handle the smell of you. I was just getting used to blocking you out, to forgetting you, and then you show up on my door.."
He shook his head and clenched his eyes shut. She swallowed the pain in her throat and sniffed, fighting back the tears that threatened to pour out.
"I'm so sorry, Katsuki. I really am...It was hell for me to leave you, but I thought you'd be better off without me. And you don't have to take me back, I can leave for good this time. I can figure it out. And you can hate me, a-and that'll be fine, b-because all that I've done to you is horrible and cruel-"

She cut herself off and she got up, preparing to leave again and go to someone else for help. Someone with who she hadn't so thoroughly ripped out their heart.
He gripped her wrist, so quick it surprised her. He led her back onto the bed and she sat back down, still facing him. When he raised his eyes to look at her they were red-rimmed. She'd never seen him so vulnerable.
"I lost you once, because you were scared. We both were. I know that you wouldn't have left unless you knew something had gone wrong, something big."
His eyes shot to her stomach. A silent question. She shook her head no, a tear slipping down her cheek. A breath racked out of him and he took her hands in his.
Minutes of silence passed between them. He reigned in his emotions and took a deep breath.
"I don't want you to leave. I can't take it again. I need you, Ochako. I do,"
Her expression softened and she tilted her head.
"I thought you didn't need anybody. A one-man show"
She mused, trying at humour. He laughed, remembering his younger self from school.
"I need you, too,"

She whispered, smiling softly at him. Something tight inside his chest loosened and unravelled. He began slowly leaning forward when she got off the bed.
"Right, enough of my crying. I'll um- I'll get dinner started while you take a shower"
He gazed up at her for a second or two before nodding and heading to the bathroom.

Ochako was checking the rice when she heard the shower stop, an old familiar want surfacing in her stomach. She debated going into the bathroom, forgetting dinner altogether...
No, she decided against it. They were both still healing. She couldn't pounce on him like that, it was wrong.
But he went to kiss me before, maybe...
No, she shook her head again. She hadn't felt the touch of anyone ever since the hospital.
Still, she couldn't deny it. She missed it. His touch, trailing over her stomach, on her chest, running up her spine. Missed the grip of his strong hands on her thighs, her hips, how he used to pull her head back and kiss her...She ignored the shiver that went through her, and the goosebumps rising on her skin.
Running a hand through her hair roughly she stirred a sauce and took the crumbed chicken from a pan.

By the time she'd dished them both up their dinner, Katsuki had dressed and came out in a tank and a pair of briefs. She didn't look a second too long and instead focused on bringing the bowls to the table. Once she set them down she turned and grabbed their drinks. Everything she did, it was as though he was watching her. Closely.
She sat on the floor with her legs crossed beneath her, and began to eat when he sat down across from her.
It took her a few tries to get used to the chopsticks again, and she almost moaned at the taste of actual food once she could.
Katsuki smiled at her from across the table.
"What?"
She said, picking up another bite of rice. He shook his head.
"Nothing. It just feels nice- doing this again"
She chuckled.
"I didn't know how it would taste. I haven't cooked in a while"
He shook his head once.
"I wasn't talking about the food."
A light blush rose on her cheeks and she looked back down to her food. 

They were silent for a few moments, unsure of what to say. It was almost comfortable until he slid his hand across the table, palm up. She contemplated ignoring his request, going back to eating and waiting. But her hand moved on its own and slid into his. The tips of her fingers skimmed over his wrist softly. His eyes shuttered at the touch. She was about to say something when his phone rang, sending a mood-killing sound through the air.
He clenched his jaw and got up in a swift movement, storming over to where his phone lay on a nearby table.
"What?"
He said into the speaker, Ochako watching closely. He paused for a while before speaking again.
"Are you fucking kidding me? No- I told you- hey, shut up, I'm speaking. I told you tonight is my night off. Find someone else"
The person on the other end kept talking. Ochako wondered whether that person would end up with a black eye soon enough.
Katsuki groaned and hung up, rubbing his temples.
"Is something wrong?"
"No- um, I just got called into work. That's all. I should be back in a few hours"

She tried to keep her face blank, neutral. Because she did understand, completely. But he must've seen something because he said,
"Is that okay?"
"Y-Yes, of course. I'll see you when you get home"
He nodded and hurried out, leaving her to finish off her meal alone. After he was gone she bit her lip and sighed. She'd have to man up if she ever wanted to get things moving between them.