twenty

I was whisked off stage and into a limo which took me to the President's mansion. There, hundreds of high class Capitolites and sponsors milled about around gigantic tables of food, which I hardly had an appetite for. The moment of peace I had in the limo was quickly gone, and I was forced to plaster a wide smile on my face and interact with my 'biggest fans'. I had yet to catch a glimpse of Luke or Barrick, but I managed to share a quick hug with Hilda before I was whisked away by another Capitolite. She hadn't been my favorite person to deal with as a tribute, but by the way she trembled in my arms I could tell that she did care for me.

Music began to start up, causing everyone around me to cheer. Men swarmed me, asking to dance, and I politely accepted the nearest hand. It was an older gentleman with purple hair and bright blue eyes, looking at me with an awestruck smile. I only danced with him for a moment before I was twirled into the arms of another man. The process continued for what seemed like hours. The way I was looked at made my skin crawl, and for the hundredth time I wished I was wearing a less revealing dress. I felt like the President's show pony; an object put on display.

I was twirled again, this time falling into the arms of someone slightly familiar.

"Hello, Juliet. Our newest Victor." Finnick Odair grinned down at me, his sea-green eyes turning sad as he took in my flushed appearance. I looked up curiously, studying his handsome face. He was perfect, but I surprised myself by realizing I much preferred Luke's boyish features.

"Hi, Finnick. It's nice to finally meet you." I stated politely, placing my hands on his shoulders as we began to dance in time to the music.

"Likewise. I've heard a lot about you." His eyes lost their sad gaze and a twinkle appeared. "I'm a friend of Luke's."

I instantly relaxed, allowing him to twirl me in a circle. I hadn't previously thought about the fact that Luke would know these people that seemed so famous and untouchable, but I supposed that we were both one of them now. I had always thought that Finnick was arrogant and self-centered, but I could tell by the slightly guarded look in his eyes that his act wasn't so different than Luke's. Finnick had won his games eight years ago, but he was only a few years older than Luke and I, and it made sense that Capitol's two favorite men had become friends. Although Luke hadn't quite replaced their beloved Finnick Odair, he was just as handsome and had quickly won their hearts. Luke seemed more aloof now than he ever had before but I was glad he had at least one person he could relate to here in the Capitol.

"Have you seen him?" I questioned, eager to see him again. Finnick turned his head to the side and I followed his gaze, watching as Luke nodded along politely to the large group of females that surrounded him. He had a smirk on his face as he spoke to them, but I could see him glancing at Finnick and I out of the corner of his eyes.

Finnick leaned forward, tilting his head so he could speak lowly in my ear. I nearly shuddered as I was brought back to the memory of Atlas' hot breath against my neck, but Finnick's words placated me.

"Be careful, Juliet. I'm here to help, if you need me." He pulled away, and I caught the serious expression on his face, not one that I had ever seen on him before through the television. He glanced over my shoulder and quickly twisted his expression back into the charming grin.

"I'm glad you made it back." Giving me a quick wink, he pulled away, still looking over my shoulder.

I was once again transferred into another's arms, and I realized what Finnick had been looking at. This time, I was dancing with none other than the President himself. His eyes glittered as he looked down at me.

"You look stunning, Juliet. It seems like I'm not the only who agrees." His eyes flickered around at the people watching me with intense gazes. "I have someone I'd like you to meet."