Interlude 1: Duncan

So, I'll be doing these sort of... "in-between" chapters called interludes in which I switch to another character's point of view. They will be pretty short, usually under 1000 words. They will all be named for the character whose P.O.V. I'm writing from. 

***

        When Duncan entered the Circle Tower, he immediately began assessing the mages for Grey Warden material. While mages were very capable in terms of skill due to their magic, none of them possessed the attitude that he was looking for. The life of a Grey Warden was one of sacrifice, after all. It was also a very thankless life.

        Duncan was certain that Irving and Greagoir would not be happy with him. They had already given the king's army nearly all of the most senior mages, and yet here he was ready to demand more. The Warden felt a little guilty asking this of his old friend, but he was sure that this was a Blight. So few mages in the army would not do at all.

        So, here he was, ready to demand greater aid from the Circle (and if he was really lucky, he could convince Greagoir to spare a few of his templars as well) and, since he was here anyway, why not recruit a mage or two for the Wardens?

        It was mid-morning when Duncan found himself in Irving's office, the elderly mage in a surprisingly good mood. It was then that Duncan's interest was especially peaked. Last night, one of the students had passed something called the "Harrowing". As Duncan understood it, the test was a rite of passage of sorts that every young mage must go through.

        It was a rather dangerous test, Irving informed him. One that could very well cost the mage his life.

        Not unlike the Joining, then.

        As Irving told it, this boy was one of the most talented young mages in the Circle and was a personal favourite student of the First Enchanter's. He'd rather like to meet this young man, if he had the chance.

        Duncan brought up the topic of more aid from the Circle while Irving was still in a good mood. The First Enchanter was actually quite open to the idea of allowing more mages to participate in the defense of Ferelden, but Greagoir was... not fond of the idea. As far as he was concerned, the Circle had already given too much as it was. It had turned into a heated argument between the Knight-Commander and the First Enchanter that was interrupted by a blue-eyed, red-haired mage who looked as though he wanted their attention.

        "Gentlemen, please," he'd interrupted. "Irving, I think someone wants to see you."

***

        The Warden was pleasantly surprised by the auburn-haired mage. He actually wanted to defend Ferelden from the darkspawn. Duncan promised that he would speak to Irving about this matter, and he would. But would the mage – Adrian Amell – be willing to fight darkspawn as a life-long calling?

        Duncan couldn't be sure, and he would much rather his recruits join willingly as opposed to invoking the Right of Conscription. Of course, the Warden Commander wasn't above conscripting people if he had to, as he had with Daveth back in Denerim and as he had been forced to do with Alistair. He hadn't wanted to conscript Alistair, that young man was more than willing to give his life to the Wardens and their cause, but the Revered Mother was unwilling to let him go. He'd had no choice.

        Ultimately, the decision would remain with Adrian, but he would still get Irving's blessing before giving the young mage the option. If he said no, then Duncan would respect that and look elsewhere. He already planned on going to Orzammar to petition for aid against the darkspawn anyway. He could always look there for more recruits once he got his hands on those old treaties.

        (The dwarven king wouldn't be able to refuse if Duncan waved that treaty in front of his face.)

***

        It turns out that he needn't have bothered. After escorting him to his room, the mage had gotten into some trouble involving another mage. He had assisted his friend, scheduled for Tranquility (not that Duncan knew much about that particular rite), to escape from the Circle with his beloved.

        That mage had turned to blood magic in order to protect his girlfriend from Aeonar. No, he had turned to blood magic a long time ago. His friend and beloved had just never known. The red-haired mage and the chantry initiate had both believed that a great injustice was being done.

        The dark-haired young man had run off, leaving his friend and girlfriend to deal with the fallout.

        He intervened and invoked the Right of Conscription on the boy. He seemed upset about being an accomplice to an escape on false pretenses but not about becoming a Warden.

        That was good.

        Duncan allowed Adrian Amell to say his goodbyes to the brown-eyed woman with the same colour of hair as his – his younger sister – as well as the middle-aged elven woman who had given him her staff. Her green eyes shone with motherly love as they said goodbye and the two men were off.