Downward Spiral

Jungkook's always been so good at turning down invitations.

Back when he was still juggling two part-time jobs, uni work, his art classes and dance practice, there genuinely hadn't been enough time for anything else in his weekly calendar, so excusing himself from social events had been a necessity simply because he couldn't be in two places at once. Sure, he'd often felt guilty for saying no (because if there was one thing in the world Jungkook truly hated, it was disappointing his friends), but with no other feasible option, it had always been a relatively easy answer to give.

Now that Jungkook has drastically cut down his working hours and does have ample free time after school, saying no has suddenly become a whole lot harder...even with a big essay deadline looming on the horizon.

"You wanna come over for dinner after practice tomorrow?" Rocky asks him on Sunday evening, shoulder braced against the wall in a casual slouch as he watches Jungkook lace up his new Magnanni boots (a surprise gift from Hoseok earlier that day – the vampire has impeccable taste in footwear). "I'm gonna make tteokbokki."

"With cheese?" Moonbin asks hopefully from his semi-reclined position in the centre of makeshift sickbed that's been set up in the living room (essentially a giant nest of roll-out mattresses, pillows and blankets).

Bin's gaze is still fixed on the giant flatscreen TV as his Mario Kart character races towards the finish line, the werecat playfully bumping elbows with Eunwoo and giggling when the sneaky act of sabotage makes the vampire's character swerve off-road sharply.

"Lots of cheese," Sanha seconds. A second later, the bunny throws both arms up in the air with a cheer as his own character zooms over the finish line in first place. MJ gives an exaggerated cry of dismay and lobs a pillow at the hybrid in retaliation, Sanha laughing as he ducks away to hide behind Moonbin.

Rocky rolls his eyes at his packmates with an indulgent grin.

"I guess we're having it with cheese," the dancer confirms wryly, turning back to Jungkook as the elder straightens up from tying his laces. "You in, hyung?"

Say no. Say no.

"Thanks, but I wouldn't want to intrude," Jungkook tries to decline, although it lacks conviction.

"You won't be," Rocky reassures him. "We all love having you over. Yugyeom-hyung's coming too, if that makes you feel any better – he's been badgering me to cook for him all semester, and now's as good a time as any with Bin-hyung staying over."

"Binnie won't be in school tomorrow," JinJin adds quietly, appearing at Jungkook's elbow to help him into his jacket. The dog hybrid has been particularly attentive towards him these past few days, probably an offset of having an injured packmate to nurture around the clock. "We figured the two of you might wanna hang out for a while, even if it's only for dinner. No pressure, though."

He really should decline. Jungkook's already made arrangements with Taehyung and Jimin to check out the new 3D art exhibition in town tomorrow afternoon, which will inevitably eat up all of his free time between school and dance practice. Monday evening was supposed to be his first real chance to start working on his essay (because so far this weekend he's done fuck all, too busy worrying about his absent roommate to concentrate on anything for more than a few minutes), but how is he supposed to turn down an invitation to spend more time with Binnie? Especially since he otherwise won't get to see his roommate at all tomorrow.

"It's okay if you're busy, hyung," Moonbin pipes up, interrupting Jungkook's internal crisis of conscience. "We can still see each other on Tuesday, right?"