Prologue

Norwich, England - 1132

Evelyn darted across the courtyard, taking no care that her skirts were muddy and torn. Her long, wavy, pale blonde hair was swept away from her face by a passing breeze. The courtyard was scattered with stray, and a nearby goat called out from the confines of his pen.

Her dark eyes glimmered in the afternoon sun, appearing for that moment as though they were bright. For indeed, they should have been.

"Miss, you must not be out at such times!" Edith rushed to open the manor doors, flushing. "Your father shall have a mind to punish you."

Evelyn, a girl of only eight years old, skidded to a halt, scowling. "I care not what my father thinks."

"But you shall, you shall--he is returned now from his journey." Edith lowered her voice, ushering the child inside.

She glanced around, catching her breath. Her steps lightened across the cold stone floor. Her eyes wandered about the barren manor, which would be near silent were it not for her. For she had no siblings, to her parents' regret, and learned to be entertained with only her own company.

"Evelyn Liecia!" her father's growling voice rang in her ears.

Her heart froze as she stood beside the maid. Her eyes darted about for an escape, but Edith pulled her against her side with a quivering hand.

"Do not fear, miss, perhaps he shall be kinder today." she swallowed.

Sir Archibald Bruder appeared from the stairs around the corner. His face, though young, was hardened with anger. He marched forward, snatching his daughter's arm. "Why is it you do not listen to your commands?"

"I did not know you were--"

"I care not for your cursed excuses." he examined her. "Your dress is torn, is this how a lady behaves?"

"No, Sir."

"Then why have you?"

"She's only a child, Sir, please--"

"Do not speak in my presence." he hissed, giving no glance to the young maid. "Filthy, wretched girl. Would to God you were not my own offspring, but a peasant to roam the streets." he grumbled, pulling her along.

But she tugged her wrist against his grip. "No--no, father, I shall not disobey again. Ever. I swear it."

Edith, only sixteen years of age, stood with a pallor face and sorrowed eyes, unable to fight for her mistress.

"Father, let go--let go," but a slap stung across the girl's cheek.

He snatched her off her feet, carrying her up the winding stairs and to her small bedroom. Evelyn crumpled to the floor, raising her tear-filled eyes.

"Girls who cannot listen to their father receive nothing but damnation." he snarled before slamming the door shut.

She fumbled to her feet, bringing her hands to her face as the door locked. For a moment she stood, pallor, waiting for any sign of life outside. At last, she ran forward, pounding her little fists on the door. "Father! Father! Mother! Edith!" tears choked her voice. "Mother! Mother, I am up here! Edith! Can you hear?"

Indeed, the minutes slipped past, followed by hours. Dinner time came and went with nothing more than a change in the light that seeped through her window. For a long while, she stood, leaning on the windowsill and breathing in the fresh air from the open window. Her tears dried as she observed the birds which twirled so carefully, and the occasional rabbit which would appear from a bush to eat.

At last, she sank down on her bed, watching the sun fade from view as her eyes heavied.

Her attention was diverted, however, by the muffled voices of her parents in the hallway. She jumped

up, running to the door on bare feet.

"No--do not touch me, you animal." Garnet hissed, flinching from her husband.

"Everyone in this house treats me as the devil! Well, I shall not let my manor be commanded by a woman!" he spat, clenching her wrist and pulling her towards his room.

Garnet struggled against his grasp. "Release me--"

"I did not marry you so you could be a mere ornament in my manor," his voice lowered as he pulled her into his strong embrace. "Besides... there was a time when I excited you, was there not?"

She tensed, knowing full well she could escape his grip. "I have never felt anything more for you than hatred."

Evelyn flinched, hearing a whack as she leaned on the door. Her stomach twisted into a tight knot.

"You animal--" but Garnet's protesting was smothered by her husband's demanding kisses.

Despite herself, tears glistened in her eyes as she jerked to escape. But Archibald scooped her up, disappearing into his room and closing the door.

Evelyn sank down with shaking hands. Her ears rang with the muffled, weepy protests of her mother. She buried her face in her hands, but nothing could drown out the screaming of her own heart.

It was the next morning when Edith was permitted to unlock her mistress's door. Evelyn darted from her bed, lunging her arms around the maid.

"I am so sorry, miss."

"I could not sleep," Evelyn spoke quietly. "I only tried to think of happy things, as you said."

"Yes, that is good, miss. Come along, you must change into a fresh dress before your mother protests." she stepped into the room, clenching the girl's hand.

"Edith?"

"Yes, miss?"

She gulped, scooting onto the bed's edge. "Why does father hurt mother?"

The room fell silent. Edith lowered her eyes, rummaging through the girl's wardrobe.

"Last night he hurt, did he not? And so many nights... She is so very sad, I should like to cheer her. Shall she like that?"

Edith turned, stepping over and sinking down on her knees before the girl. She took her pale hands, warming them in her own. "Sometimes, Evelyn, people are so full of anger that they punish others. Sometimes people who have been given so much pain in life that they wish everyone else to suffer the same, they feel everyone else deserves their pain too."

"But father is not hurt." she furrowed her brow.

"Not on the outside, not where one can see." she shook her head. "I fear it is indeed worse, for it is within him, where none can see or touch."

"Really, Evelyn, you have been doddling enough." Garnet marched forward from the doorway.

Evelyn jumped down from the bed. "Mother, are you in pain?"

She stopped, tightening her jaw. "Why on earth should I be in pain? Has that silly maid been filling your head with foolish ideas again?"

She shook her head.

Garnet bent down, looking over her daughter. "You disgusting girl. Who taught you to behave this way?" she snatched her wrist.

"No one."

"Then I suggest you listen to your father." she jerked to her feet.

"But you do not like listening to him. Do you?" she blinked, fidgeting.

Garnet spun around, her eyes wide. "Your duty is not to question me or him," she clenched her teeth. "Your duty is to listen and stay quiet. Do you hear me? No good ever came of a woman who protested those above her."

"Yes, mother."