IX The Hermit: Nothing but Revenge

"Thank you for saving us. Muriel didn't say anything, but I know he's grateful too." Asra turns back to us with an apologetic smile as he collects the myrrh gum. His hands glow with magic, and the gum turns into rock like substance of the same colour. He continue to produce more as we speak.

"What now? I had my oasis back, we can stay there..." Asra's smile almost looks as if he's pleading us to stay, to be away from the dangers. It reminds me so much of my first impression of him. Kind, but so very sad.

I look over at Julian, and our eyes meet thinking about the same thing.

"I can't. Pasha and Mazelinka.... they are still out there." Julian tighten his fists at mentioning Portia. I put an arm around Julian's waist, and he turns to me with an appreciative smile.

"And your parents, don't you want to free them...?" A glimpse of pain flash through Asra's eyes. I have found my family, but their are still lost.

"Of course. We have to find them." Asra tried to smile, but there are so many hidden thoughts behind that grimace.

I lower my head, knowing his unspoken words.

What difference will it make?

What else is left in there?

I did not dare to ask myself this question. Here, nothing will end, and nothing will change. It sounds like a paradise, but in a world like this, there is no future.

"I—"

"There's someone else here." Before I can put my feelings into words, Muriel speaks in a low voice that's just enough to get everyone's attention.

All the eyes turn to him with the unified shocked, and Asra freeze in the position of bagging the myrrh substance.

"Oh? You have extraordinary senses." Magician smiles mysteriously, clearly not surprised by this information.

With a loud and clear finger snap, the forest in a distance twisted.

There is a swoosh sound. Something sweeps pass between me and Julian, bringing our hair to fly in the wind. It's aiming straight at Magician.

"Who's there!" I shout.

Everybody had their magic ready. Julian, not having any means to defend himself, puts one hand on my shoulder after looking around flustered.

Something jumps off from the tree and lands softly like a feline. It stands up, the silhouette represents too much like human, but that should be impossible.

The stranger walks toward us out of the shade, into the soft moonlight. It is a woman with platinum blond hair. She wears fur coat on her back, and dark brown clothing. On her face, a cheetah mask hides her expression, but cannot hide her imposing manner.

"I have not come here to fight," Her voice is deep and aged, but still full of power.

"but if you do that again, I will not hesitate to attack." She strikes with such fierce and confident that everyone fix on her with full alert. She made a disdained humph, clearly thinks we are beneath contempt.

"Did you not just attacked?" Magician is still smiling. He curls his fingers under the chin, amused. The spear floats weightlessly in midair, the tapering pointing at his face. He waves a hand, and the spear spins and tossed back to the woman.

"That's hardly a threat to you." She catches the spear easily, and Magician wriggles his ears in delight.

She walks straight at me, and I can feel Asra's magic vibrating the air in tension. A giant eagle swoops down, landing on her outstretched arm. Malak clicks his beak indignantly on Inanna's head, feathers all ruffled.