32. I'm Here

Grabbing Freddie and Phoenix by the arm, Violet dragged them away from the collapsing buildings and the caving pieces of ground. Creating a triangle as they grasped each other's arms and lowered their bodies to the ground, Violet pushed Freddie's head down further to protect his face from drifting debris.

When the shaking stopped, Violet slowly rose from her squat, encouraging Freddie to remain low to the ground until her signal.

"Are you alright, Freddie?" she asked as Phoenix helped him rise to stand when the coast was clear.

With panicking shaking hands and his disoriented eyes wide with fright, Freddie tried his best to process Violet's question and find an answer.

"I'm... that—that was fucking—oh my god, that was fucking terrifying..."

"Thankfully that hasn't been nearly as strong as the last. The weakest one yet... I think it's just another aftershock," Phoenix concluded as her eyes scanned their surroundings.

"Where is Lucy?" Freddie asked as he linked his trembling hands together in an attempt to quell his anxiety.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

Lucy found herself deposited into the bottom of an embassy basement lying flat on her back from her fall. She opened her eyes and shielded her hands from the dirt crumbling from the rigid roof of rocky debris several feet above her. Sanguine sunlight peeked through the cracks of the concrete that threatened to collapse at any moment.

Familiar yet feeble yells echoed across the basement that drew Lucy to attention.

"Commander Goh, is that you? We've been working on creating an exit for you, but that may have been delayed by this aftershock... Is that you, can you hear me?"

His straggled voice followed with a faint reply in confirmation, almost inaudible to Lucy. She collected herself and rose to her feet, clambering through the rubble of the basement as she made her way to attend to him.

"Oh my god..."

Commander Goh lay on his back with his lower half crushed by a colossal slab of concrete. Wiping dust out of her eyes, Lucy swallowed her panic as she ran through an order of operations of what to do next.

"Hi, Commander... it's me, it's Lucy. Can you feel your legs or toes?"

"They're moving, aren't they?" Commander Goh croaked while his toes remained unfortunately unmoved.

Necrosis in his leg muscles has already begun... When the concrete on top of his lower body is lifted, there's a high probability of him having crushing syndrome...

I need to create an exit out of here without causing more collapse

"My three kids, Lucy... My son and my two daughters... Do you remember them?"