Chapter 7: Capable

Yamato's hand dropped and blades were drawn.

Kaeru was quick to swing his large blade at Imori, who side stepped the lightning fast jabs. He countered and deflected the reckless blade with his own, feeling the strength of his opponent instantly. Imori's arms braced and shook as he received the blows.

He just had to hold on until Inoshishi was distracted and not get caught in a battle of physical strength where it could be avoided.

Kuma had began closing the distance between himself and the blond who was already part the way through forming hand signs. He refrained from making eye contact but seeing the trees flicker unnaturally in his peripheral vision, he had to act quickly. He had been caught in a genjutsu.

He drew a kunai and sliced his hand, forgoing the easier alternative for a reason. It was an unexpected response that threw Inoshishi off for a split second. And a split second was all Kuma needed.

He pocketed the kunai then threw a handful of deadly accurate shuriken, forcing Inoshishi to deflect, keeping his hands busy with the continuous onslaught. Kuma's left hand closed around the handle of his tantō, swinging the blade in the blond's direction. The older boy dodged and tried to adjust back to a more comfortable range.

But Kuma was persistent and every so often employed the use of a shadow shuriken to spice things up. Inoshishi was nimble and able to dodge but unable to attack effectively. He relied too much on Kaeru's physical strength to protect him. Kuma had dropped the weights on his legs and arms before they had begun, to ensure he was on the offensive.

A loud yawn broke the tense atmosphere, as Imori leaped away from the brute rolling his shoulders back. His tantō was re-sheathed, taking a swig from the water canister on his hip as he then formed hand signs in rapid succession. "Water release: Water bullet technique."

Water mixed with chakra pulled to his stomach and was expelled from the mouth in a powerful blasts. The attack barely hit Kaeru a few times but succeeded in soaking the battlefield.

Yamato was mildly surprised at how much water soaking the isolated battlefield. Instead of puffing at the amount of chakra that had to of been used, the boy was appeared almost relaxed despite almost being crushed by the large sword swung in his direction.

Imori used a single hand sign to freeze one of Kaeru's hands, covering it in ice and in the other, manipulated the water on his hand and in his cells. He watched how it cramped intermittently forcing him to switch hands after breaking the ice on the other, to use his blade affectively. But Kaeru had been warned about Imori's ability to use ice release.

"Fire bullet jutsu!"

Imori hissed as he sprinted sideways, trying to avoid the continuous flames chasing him. His left arm had been caught by the initial flame and he was quick to drop the weights from his wrists and legs. He forgot Kuma's advice to remove them prior to the match. He blamed both his nerves and stupidity for almost getting him killed.

Yamato watched the boy drop the weights as he fled the violent flames. He was shocked when craters formed where they landed. When Kaeru sucked in a much needed breath, Imori rushed him forming hand signs. "Lightning snake!" 

"Fire wheel jutsu," the larger boy was spared from the lightning as it clashed with his jutsu midway. But the concentration on the blue haired boy's face was alarming for Yamato, as Kaeru rushed towards him blade drawn.