Chapter 19: What are you afraid of?

Thanks for 160 votes 💜

If Aoba said he was surprised to run into Kakashi Hatake on his search for Imori, he'd be lying. While the jounin had his hands full training the Uchiha, Kakashi had blocked out time to help with whatever they needed. The lunch the team had shared only days prior, was a tense one.

Sakura was teary when she mentioned that someone she knew was in trouble and she yelled at the boys for opening their mouths to share the identity of the person, unaware that Kakashi was in the know about Imori's existence.

Naruto had simply asked their sensei that if something big goes down, would he be willing to help someone he didn't know. Kakashi had bowed his head and explained, yes, he would because he trusts the judgement of his genin to an extent.

Though it was Sasuke who tried to play devil's advocate, mentioning they have no reason to trust someone they don't really know and that they'd be stupid to blindly believe anything he said. The last comment was directed to his teammates, both of whom frowned. But Sakura was quick to point out that there may be something preventing the hypothetical person from disclosing information, and Kakashi revealed there were many ways to prevent information leaking to the wrong hands but cut the conversation short after that. He didn't need them looking into anything that would get them killed.

The group had parted ways after Kakashi told Sasuke to train on his own for the afternoon, sent Naruto off to his vague training with the Sannin, and reminded Sakura to have a break from her research in the library. Sakura thanked Kakashi sensei for his concern and instead headed off in the direction of training ground three. The Uchiha and Uzumaki watched her go, surprised at her destination but quickly pushed it aside as they went to train.

"So, you're looking for Imori?" Kakashi side eyed the man as they walked, it was the first time he looked up from his book on their joined walk. It was then Kakashi found himself asking a question he already knew the answer to. "And you're certain he's friends with my student?" Aoba nodded stiffly.

Kakashi sighed and put away his little orange book, knowing that he wouldn't have time to read when they were spying on his student and her friend. And after witnessing Danzo and Imori's interaction days prior, Kakashi could only hope his student wasn't too involved with the mysterious boy, who should, for all intensive purposes, never of come to the Village.

Kuma has been forthcoming with any private information he could share without being, 'frozen like a goddamn statue.' One look at his tongue confirmed the adult's shared concerns about what they were doing for Danzo without going into any specifics.

Kuma believed that he had grown up in the warmth of a Village, he was told the Leaf was his home. But being told where he was from instead of having his own reliable memories, left him doubtful. At the end of the day, Kuma's unreliable memories had convinced him to of lived in the Village longer than Imori had, leaving him content with believing he hailed from the Leaf.

His self proclaimed brother however, was a different story.

  From what Imori could remember, he was born in another village. And while the name escaped him, he remembered the cool winds that bit into his pale skin and the never ending rain that soaked you to the bone in a matter of seconds. He remembered feeling like he was cared for until he was taken away, the matron being told those children would have a better life ahead of them. And she let them go willingly.