Prologue

Asakusa, Tokyo, Solar Year 196

The town was engulfed in flame. Infernalization happened almost everywhere. The hikeshi team was having a hard time putting every Infernals to rest while saving townspeople from the fire. Everybody was scared and confused as they didn't know the reason behind the calamity. Like the rest of the world, Infernalization is a normal thing in Asakusa but to see so many people turning into Infernals in one night raised questions and fear among the people and fire fighters.

Benimaru and Konro rushed toward a shrine on the hill after receiving a report on a fire breaking out.

"You think someone has turned into an Infernal?" Benimaru asked matter-of-factly.

Konro didn't even spare him a glance as he replied hesitantly. "Don't make me think of that possibility right now."

Whatever they saw at the top of the hill answered Benimaru's questions.

Fire ravaged the entire place. The shrine stood proud despite being swallowed by flame, so did a middle-aged man outside the shrine. His body was burning and charred, no longer human but still alive. He stood unmoving as he stared at a gravely injured woman lying on the ground. Fire danced around them but never got any closer, as if an invisible dome protected them from the fire.

"Ouka!" Benimaru shouted.

Konro grabbed his shoulder before he could run at the woman. "Wait. That Infernal though," he trailed off as realization came slow but clear.

As if to affirm whatever is in Konro's mind, the Infernal took a few steps away from the woman. He raised his head to look at them for a second before lowering his gaze on the woman again.

"Mi...koto..."

Konro and Benimaru were shocked upon hearing the Infernal's voice. They immediately figured out the identity of the person who turned into the Infernal—Homare Shinya, the shrine kannushi. And the unconscious woman is his daughter, Homare Ouka.

"But Homare san is a Second Generation. How can a Second Generation turn into an Infernal?" Konro mulled over.

Benimaru didn't waste his time thinking as he calmly walked to the Infernal. The Infernal spun his head at him, as if knowing what was about to happen and that he was ready for it.

"Look at this mess, Homare," Benimaru said rowdily. "What else can I offer you when you've got everything covered, huh?"

He used his pyrokinesis to lift a few rocks in midair before throwing them at the shrine to destroy it. "Take the shrine as well."

When he stood right in front of the Infernal, he showed him a wistful smile and talked in a softer manner.

"Rest assured, Ouka is safe now. Way to hang in there."

Benimaru stabbed Homare Shinya's heart with his bare hand, finally putting him to rest.

The latter looked at his daughter one last time as his body turned into ashes and flew away with the wind.

Konro carried Homare Ouka on his back and told Benimaru that they should bring her to safety now.