Chapter 5

"Save Beni!"

Ouka frantically searched for Benimaru's trail of fire in the sky, instantly spotted a big flame arrow heading toward him. The brief connection she felt with Konro and Shinra was truly bizarre, but there's no room for thinking when her comrade is in danger. Both Shinra and her rushed toward the flame arrow simultaneously, except she was running on the ground while he soared upward with his 3rd Generation ability that dwelled in his feet.

I could use 'Suzaku no Mai' to crush the arrow completely, she thought to herself.

She experienced a flashback from when she had a conversation with Benimaru and Konro one year ago.

Asakusa, Tokyo, Solar Year 197

"The people from Haijima are aware of your hybrid ability, which means that they got their eyes on you all the time," Konro warned Benimaru.

"Huh, those cowards probably afraid of me throwing a rampage on their turfs with my power." Benimaru scowled. "Look at us now... Entitled to a forced friendship whatsoever with Haijima."

Konro averted his sight from Benimaru to Ouka. "Your hybrid ability is artificial, and apart from us in Company 7, no one else knows about this." He caught a quick frown from the latter, perhaps of worry.

"It'll be fine, Ouka. As long as you don't use your 3rd Generation ability frequently, nobody will find out the nature of your power," he added with a smile.

A long sigh from Ouka. "Well, we can rest easy on that. My hybrid ability doesn't come in handy like Waka's. I can't use it for a long period."

"That's because your body isn't strong enough to withstand your new power," Benimaru commented. "You weren't born with 3rd Generation ability, thus your body wasn't prepared when you gained that power. Fret not, there's always room for improvement. Just don't push yourself to exceed your limits."

He slanted a concerned look at Ouka. "Or else you'll break."

"Yes, yes, I know," she muttered.

Konro took a chance to speak again. "Anyway, keeping Ouka's hybrid ability a secret is the most appropriate action. There must be a reason why you were granted 3rd Generation ability, and I have a hunch that it's for a bad purpose. If the perpetrator learns of this, he might return to Asakusa."

"Besides, I wouldn't want Haijima to set a leash on you like how they did to Beni." This time he got a frown from Benimaru, but it was of protest.

Benimaru crossed his hands over his chest. "Heh, who says leashed dogs can't go feral and bite their owners? I'll do whatever I want. Haijima be damned."

Konro and Ouka merely grinned at their captain's obstinacy.

Asakusa, Tokyo, Solar Year 198

"I don't give a shit at enemies learning my circumstances right now," Ouka murmured to herself as she leapt from roofs to roofs. "If my comrades are in danger, I'm giving it my all to save them!"

Just then, Garo appeared in front of her with her kagura suzu in his mouth. She'd conjured him when she was putting away fires with the 7th earlier, ordered him to fetch her kagura suzu at the HQ.

"Nice job, Garo." she acclaimed as the wolf vanished into thin air.

Ouka held her kagura suzu with her mouth, then twirled her three-section staff for several seconds before shifting her stance into a standby state.