Chapter 1

I arrived at Nanba Prison on a boat. The guards let me wear my cloak since it was raining. Lucky for me, I guess. Because not many people if any could see that it was made of feathers since the rain made them stick flat onto the cloth. Or the fact that I'm a girl since there are mostly guys here.

I rattled the chains around my wrists, just to scare those guards a little. They jumped, then scowled at me. "There's no point in doing that. It's not like they're going to come off whenever you wish them to. Oh," he said, looking out into the distance. "We're almost there. Looks like you'll get them off soon enough I guess." He sighed.

When I got off the boat being led by the guard holding my chains, I saw a woman with long blue hair and a guard with orange hair and green bangs who kinda looks like a monkey standing on the dock.

"Thank you," the woman said to my guard. "We can take her from here."

"No problem, ma'am," he said, handing the monkey my chains and walking away.

"You must be the new inmate. Your name is-."

"Please call me Shizuha. Since I'm in Japan now, it'd be easier for everyone to remember a name that they already know and recognize, That's my reasoning at least."

"Alright. I'm the warden. Welcome to Nanba Prison. Your inmate number will be 08. Samon, take her to get her tag and tattoo done. Then get her settled in."

"Yes ma'am!" he saluted.

After I got the tattoo and the tag, the guard introduced himself as we're walking towards a large building. "I'm Samon Gokuu, your new supervisor. You'll be in building 5's cell 8 and have 3 cellmates."

"Wait, did you say cell 8?"

"Yeah, is there something wrong?" he asked as he held the door open for me to get inside.

"No, that's not it." I said, taking off my cloak and shaking off the water the best I could, then putting it back on with the hood still up. "It's just that 8 is my lucky number! And building 5? My zodiac sign is Leo, which is the 5th one!"

"Hmm, that is interesting," he said, leading me to my cell. 

We walked into the cell, seeing a teal haired kid floating, an old-looking guy reading, and a black haired teen doing exercises. 

"Number 02! Number 58! Number 71! You've got a new cellmate!" Samon said. 

Liang's point of view

I looked up and saw Samon and... a guy in a wet black cloak? 

"Nice to meet you, I'm Liang."

"Yes, I know that." he answered.

"What do you mean?" I asked, confused.

"You still don't recognize me yet? Well, I guess that makes sense. It's been far too long since last time."

Samon broke in. "Wait, number 8, you know him?"

"No, I don't recognize you. Can you take off your cloak? I can't see your face."

He sighed. "You..." he took off the cloak. "傻哥哥." (sha gege means stupid big brother in Chinese)

A... girl? And why does she look familiar? What did she mean by 哥哥? I don't have a-

Flashback

I was 8 years old. I was playing with my sister near the forest when I heard someone scream. "Run, Liang! Take Yu away! Bring her to the hiding place! She needs to stay safe! Make sure to keep her away from those people!" I heard my mom's voice say in my mind through the wind. Mom always had the wind spirits on her side, but only uses them to speak in my mind when I need to stay quiet and it's important. 

"Okay, Mom." I whispered into the wind. I took Yu's hand and told her that something bad is happening and we need to run to the top of the hill and hide in the secret section of the forest that only people in the family knows. While we were running, I heard someone coming after us, not even respecting the forest, just crashing through, leaving a trail of destruction in his wake.

They must be after Yu. I thought. So I told her to go on ahead and play it safe and don't come out until morning when all of them have gone. And I left her, knowing that our knowledge of this forest and special connections with nature will keep us safe. 

Back in cell 8

"I'm so sorry, Yu!" I cried, tears starting to form in my eyes. I ran up to her and squashed her in a hug. "I never should have left you behind like that! Please forgive me!"

"Liang you idiot. You're crying." she said comfortingly, hugging me back. "Now let's sit down and talk about all that has happened in the 11 years we've been separated. I'm sure you have a lot to tell me, to have landed in Nanba Prison like this."

Yu/Shizuha pov

After he told me what had happened, he started yawning. "Hey, sis?" he asked sleepily, lying back on the bed.

"Yeah?"

"I won't leave you ever again, okay?" he drifted off before I could answer.

"Okay." I whispered quietly, putting a blanklet over him as it was night already.

"Hey, number 8?" Samon asked from the door.

"Please be quiet. He's sleeping." I whispered, walking over to the door. "What is it?"

"I just have a few questions. I read your documents a few minutes ago, but it never said anything about your family. And yet, number 2 is your brother. How does that make sense?"

"I grew up for 11 years without a family. Parents are dead. He's all that I have left."

"I'm so sorry about that. Also, the documents never clearly stated your crime."

"Will you not tell anyone?"

"Unless if it's really serious, I won't tell anyone but the warden if needed."

"Assassination, driving too slowly, vandalism and destruction of private property, breaking and entry, theft, assistance in a criminal act-"

"Wait, driving too slowly?!"

I giggled. "I know. Stupid reason. My fears were in control of me back then."

"Fear of crashing?"

"Yep. But theft and breaking and entry was for survival while I grew up, the vandalism and destruction one was blamed on me because the ones who came to our house the night our parents died did that. I came back the next morning, hoping that it was all just a joke or something. While I was searching for mementos of my family, the police came and arrested me. They knew I didn't do it, but thought I helped the people who destroyed and burned down my house. So yeah, there's that-"

"Mementos?"

"This brooch that was a family heirloom from my mom's side, this silver belt buckle that my dad gave me on my 6th birthday, and a few of this cloak's feathers from Liang when we went bird watching when we were little. I added the rest as the years went on. Is that all you wanted to ask me?"

"That was it. Good night, number 8."

"Good night, Samon." I whispered back, drifting off to sleep.

I'll update whenever I can! Please comment any requests if you have any and I'll see what I can do with them. Have a great day!