Foreword

Of the expansive range of stories one may hear about Catholic life, the broader Christian faith or the redeeming glory of Jesus Christ, a common theme is that moment – or collection of moments - precedent to an absolute conversion, that euphoric realization, as if one has not just seen but entirely comprehended the glorious entirety of God.

In popular culture there is a term - often used dismissively – to label the tellers of such stories with. For better or worse, the "born-again" Christian is consigned to the dreaded backbench of individuals one would rather avoid. As a Christian, it is never not a good thing when someone – especially when not even raised in a religious environment – finds their wholeness in embracing Jesus Christ. However, I can understand why disbelievers find it hard to appreciate these conversions. Who would like it, after all, if a close friend met someone at work, and before you could say "that's cool, bro," they're besties, and it's like they never even knew you? Furthermore, what if they began wearing a miniature figure of them over their chest, listened to music about how great they were, made a ritual over "eating" them and, just to help you make that final decision to un-friend them: they told you an eternity of suffering was your fate if you did not devote your life to this person as well?

For converts, we can and must be happy. More importantly, we must pray for them. At least, we should pray for them. Because, notwithstanding the fact God called them into the light of faith, I fear some, after their initial fervour, might fizzle out and move on to what turns out to be nothing more than another temporary craze. Praising God one day, hosing elephants in Cambodia the next. Furthermore, these spontaneous or unexpected conversions risk sending a misguiding message to others: first, that there was not any conscious or critical process - a considered and, if you will, consensual marriage between reason and faith; second, that God deals out epiphanies like some benevolent wizard, shining a cartoonish beam of light upon the minds of His chosen.

I bring this up here – rather than in the primary text – not to undermine the faith or conversion of anyone, but simply to present my intention in writing this book. This is, for what it's worth, to address what being a Christian, and specifically a Catholic, means to me. Contrary to the examples given above, I did not, through personal crisis or revelation, suddenly awaken to the presence of God in our universe. I was brought up in an English Catholic family, one very liberal in regards to Church teaching – to the effect that my brothers lost their faith during or after high school. I myself had little more than a comfortable notion God was real; I always thought I should try and read the Bible one day, but I was not in any hurry. I felt little actual need to seek God, complacent He would look forgivingly upon my venial transgressions throughout life and allow me into Heaven. So long as I didn't kill anyone or worship the Devil or deny God's existence I should be fine. Right?

Basically, I always identified as a Christian - I just used to do it shyly. I prayed to God the Father (rarely in the name of Jesus Christ though). I considered myself sufficiently virtuous for bothering to turn up to Sunday mass every now and then. Yet nevertheless, I always felt God's closeness, like He was patiently waiting for me to answer Him. I always felt a great inner sadness when I learnt my friends didn't believe in Him – and the reverse when they did. High school was naturally quite a shock for me then. My unconsciously conservative values didn't take definite shape until as late as 2014, where I also found my growing faith most resonated.

I became increasingly sickened by the rampant atheism if not outright blasphemy of the culture I belonged to. I found myself, from around 2015, being more attracted to church and worship. Then finally, God called me to attend a Holy pilgrimage to Jordan and Israel – the lands Jesus Himself walked, where the Israelites carried the flame in anticipation of the Messiah. Following this was the 2016 World Youth Day, held in Poland, where I met and fell in love with a girl who was much more fervently Catholic than I was. Along with my recently-born son, she is the greatest gift God has ever given me, and I would have been insane not to have married her.

This book then, is for myself: so that I can put succinctly into words, a fragment of my love for Jesus Christ, the Son of God - the Holy Father - and the Holy Spirit; the Most Blessed Trinity. It is also for any others that might find it, in hopes they will, as fellow travellers on the road to salvation, think more inwardly about their faith – whatever their denomination (I mean, you might be a devout Christian but think I'm a polytheist bound for Hades, to which I can only disagree and sincerely hope you're wrong). Finally, and most importantly, I am writing this as a humble labour of love, of devotion to the One True God. All glory and honour is His, and I hope that He will bless me with good sense and wisdom, and protect me from arrogance as I undertake this project. Amen.

....    ....    ....    ....

Oh, one final thing. Like with anyone, faith is a continuous journey throughout life. I recognise that, at 29 years of age, I have a lot more to learn. Therefore, I do not presume to be better informed than any other Christian. I might not get everything right. I might betray a very simplistic understanding of certain elements of the Catholic doctrine. And I'm sure I might one day look back on whatever I write here and feel bemused at my lack of greater knowledge. Then again, maybe I am ready to address the questions I will attempt to explore in the following pages. I hardly think my conclusions will alter that much – only that they will deepen in conviction as I grow older. With faith then ... 

The Madonna and Child, a famous image seen in many variations

Of course the likeness of Jesus and Mary is often anglicised in Western countries.

Their depictions naturally vary in all cultures.