Unexpected Surprise

"Hello?" 

"Hi, Keefe." 

"Sophie?" Keefe exclaimed. 

"Yeah, that's me." She sounded tired. 

"Are you okay?" He asked, wondering what could possibly be going wrong in the world of Sophie Foster. 

"Yeah. Keefe, I'm sorry. I messed up big time." 

"Huh?" 

"Well, have you been following my Instagram lately?" She asked.

Oh no! We're in the danger zone now! 

"Umm, yeah. I scroll down the Gram now and then." 

The Gram? Why did I say that?

"Well, um, I posted a couple pictures with Alvar and I just... I'm sorry. I was really insensitive to both you and Fitz because I just wanted to see if you guys cared still and that was really stupid because of course you care but I said to myself, 'Now Sophie, do they reeeeaally care?' And I was like "hhm, you know I don't know if they do, but-" 

"Hold up! Do you really talk to yourself like that?" 

"Uh, maybe?" She said, sounding quite flustered. "But that's not the point! The point is, I'm sorry for making it seem like there's something going on between us. Alvar and me, I mean. Because there wasn't... I was just being a petty Sophie Foster who wanted to make you feel bad because, well, you made me feel pretty awful." 

Keefe was so focused on making a joke about "Petty Sophie Foster" that he barely heard the last part. 

"I made you feel bad?" 

"Nevermind. It's in the past. I'm sorry though, if I hurt you. I don't want to hurt you, Keefe." 

"Foster, Foster, Foster. It takes more than that to hurt the Keefester." Keefe said, as his heart became less broken. 

"Oh. I'm glad. Well, that was all I called to say. I'm sorry you're not here for Christmas, it's really boring without you." 

"Yeah I'm sure it is." Keefe responded distractedly. "I have to go now. Oliver's parents are calling me over for something." 

"Okay. Merry early Christmas." 

"Diddo." Keefe hung up. 

"Hey Keefe!" Oliver called, striding over to where Keefe was sitting on one of the couches in their spacious sitting room. "My parents have a gift for you." 

"But it's Christmas Eve! Aren't gifts exchanged tomorrow?" 

"Well, this one's time sensitive." Oliver smirked. 

He totally got that from me, Keefe thought, as he followed Oliver into the other room where his parents were waiting. 

"Keefe, we wanted to give this to you." Oliver's mother began with a smile. "And you better accept it, young man." 

"Okay." Keefe said, taking the envelope. I hope this isn't a prank.

Keefe messily opened the envelope. Inside, a smooth piece of paper laid neatly in the center. Keefe pulled in out with a flourish. 

"A...plane ticket?" 

Oliver and his parents beamed. "We just couldn't stand to have you be away from your family on Christmas. This is a round trip ticket." 

"But..." Keefe gulped. He'd seen the price of tickets to California. "I can't accept this." 

Oliver's father shook a finger at him. "You already said you would accept it." 

Oliver grinned at Keefe. "Please take it, as a gift from us. You're such a great roommate, you deserve it."

Keefe felt a few tears prick at his eyes. "Thank you. I don't know how I can even try to repay you." 

"Well, you can make it to the airport on time." Oliver's mom said. "The flight leaves in three hours." 

"Oh! I uh, guess I'd better get packed." Keefe said awkwardly. They smiled at him as he retreated, all three wondering at what kind of parents didn't want their son home for Christmas.  

                                                                                  *  *  * 

Keefe waved to Oliver's family as he stepped past security and toward the plane terminal. They waved back at him until he was lost from their sight. 

I wish I had parents like them, Keefe thought, climbing the stairs to get onto the plane. 

But he could not change them. All he could do was decide to be better than them. 

At least Keefe knew of a couple families who would want him for Christmas. 

And a bunch of people whose Christmas was going to be a lot more interesting. 

The plane's engines began to roar. 

Keefe glanced out at the dreary London sky. 

He sighed in happiness as the plane took off. 

"I'm coming Sophie." He whispered.