37. Sobs

K A Z

Adrian nervously looked up at me before we looked down at the diary and began to read it.

Dear Kaz and Adrian, the two people I love most in the world. I'm sorry that I've kept this from you, I'm sorry that I did what I did to begin with. I'm sorry that I'm the guy you both care about, because I don't deserve you caring for me at all.

As you know, I started working at the ward 12 years ago. Shortly after that, two years to be exact, the ward legally closed down. That didn't stop judges and parents from sending patients here.

I was confused as to why the ward was staying open even after it legally closed but I soon found out why.

Two years into working here, Old Man decided that he wanted to make me head guard. That meant that I had to know about everything that went on behind the scenes. I had to know what Old Man was truly doing.

Instead of truly helping the patients, he was killing the patients, usually after 5 years of their stay. He would send certain guards to beat them or perform monstrous asks toward them. He tortured them in ways people torture animals for their meat.

Adrian and I both looked up at each other in shock. The diary slipped out of his hands and fell onto the bed.

"That can't be true, I-I would've known about it. I would have..." he paused before covering his mouth with his hands. He gagged before getting up and running to the bathroom. He threw the door open and threw up inside the toilet.

I stared at the words on the paper, not reading it. I couldn't believe what we had just read.

But that means that Ezra.

What did they do to him?

I looked back at Adrian who was gargling his mouth with mouthwash. After he spit it out, he stood straighter, holding tight to the sink to make sure that he didn't fall.

"Adrian, we have to finish reading." I said with tears in my eyes.

"I-I can't. I can't read anymore." He said.

A tear fell from my eye. "Adrian..." I softly called out.

"No, no, I can't. I don't want to know." He said to me.

"I understand but Lee told us to read this for a reason. Besides, I need to know what they possibly did to Ezra." I gritted my teeth feeling my tears fall. "We also need to get to the bottom of what could have happened to Lee." It was silent as I looked at him.

"Please, Adrian I can't get through this on my own." I said.

He sniffled before nodding and walking back to the bed. He took in a deep breath, carefully grabbed the diary and we began to read again.

You're probably wondering how the patients were still sent here after the ward closed down. The short answer is that when the patients were transferred, it wasn't written down. A lot of crooked judges, cops, lawyers, and sometimes parents were involved. They were smart and dirty enough to make people think the kids were somewhere else and no one questioned it.

On the other hand, as time began to pass, Old Man would hardly ever accept patients who had living parents.

Every time I think about it, I can still see the smile on Old Man's face when he described his plans to me. He told me that there was a reason for him naming it the Edward Cemet Psych Ward. The cemet part is an abbreviation for cemetery.

His motto was "the sooner we get rid of 'em, the sooner we'll make the world a less crazy place."

I told him that I wanted to leave and that I would go to the police with what he told me but little did I know he had something against me.

He generously made plans for Kaz to come to the ward and that if I stayed, nothing bad would happen to Kaz.

I tried my best to make sure of that. When Kaz first came here, he lived in a room like all the other patients. He ate in the cafeteria like everyone else, but then nobody would talk to him. And I saw how much that affected him, so Old Man suggested that we move Kaz up to a room that he had built in the attic. I later found out that Old Man informed the other guards to tell the patients to not interact with Kaz. After that, Kaz stayed locked away in the attic.

There's no good way to transition into what I'm about to say, so I'll just say it.

There are three types of guards here, those who lead, those who escort and kill, and those who are clueless.

For the clueless guards, we would always tell them that the patient went home but in reality, they were dead. At every Third Day event, including this upcoming one, all the patients who are listed to go home, will be killed. The worst part is that there is no one to question it, to the rest of the world this ward doesn't exist.

Those who escorted, escorted the patients to the chambers or Room B as the clueless guards know it to be called. I never killed any of the patients, but I knew what was going on. For that, I'm not any less guilty than Old Man or the guards who killed them.

I don't know where I am at this very moment. I'm sure that I'm either missing or dead because I recently refused to attend the Third Day Event.

I don't care about me, I don't care if they beat me to death. Perhaps, that's the punishment I deserve.

I saw a tear fall onto the paper before looking over at Adrian who was forcing back his sobs. Somehow, he still managed to force himself to read.

What I do care about is you two and getting every other patient out of here safely.

In the rest of the diary is proof of Old Man's plans and evidence of what has happened here. There is also a list of names of those involved and those who aren't. Adrian, I need you to take this diary to the police department.

Kaz, son listen to me, I would be a hypocrite to tell you to not be a hero. To not try and save Ezra, because if I were in your shoes, I would risk everything to save Adrian. But please think wisely about every move you make.

I love you both. Please be careful.

Adrian put his head on my shoulder and finally allowed his sobs to come out. I grabbed his hand giving it a light squeeze.

"I just want Lee. I just want to make sure Ezra is okay, but I can't. Why, why is this happening to us?" He cried.

"I don't know." Was all I could say.

I don't know.
_________________________________________