004

I was staring at my salary for the month at my table, as if my gaze could double the amount that I have earned. I have been computing for almost an hour and no matter how I try to budget, I could only come up with some $250 dollars to deposit to Jimin. I've already deducted some from the supposed-to-be savings of my salary for Sungmin's next tuition. I've also already omitted the leisure part of my budget which ideally should go to buying new clothes and make-up but would usually just go to eating out.

I've already convinced myself that I can give up Ramen Nagi for some time but when I tried to compute how long I would be tightening my budget, I felt so defeated.

With only $250 per month, I would be paying him for more than three years.

I plopped myself on the sofa with a heavy sigh.

"Why are you poor, Kim Dahyun?" I asked myself.

I'm not a minimum-wage earner but I don't earn that much with writing as well. Perhaps I can go to Upwork? Get some freelance jobs I can work on once I get home?

I grunted before covering my eyes with my arm and for the nth time, I'm regretting getting drunk at that night.

My phone in my pocket then started ringing and when I looked at the caller ID, it read 'Grumpy Creditor.'

Jimin had been true to his words and it annoyed me to hell because he didn't fail to contact me every single day, reminding me of the monthly deposit once I get my salary. He was worse than my landlord in trying to get payment. Hell, he's second in terms of appearing in my phone, closely next to my service provider.

And everyday, it's just, "Good day. It's __ day(s) before your deposit."

He became the countdown to every 30th that I never asked for.

I answered the call with zero enthusiasm, "Hello? Is texting me not enough now?"

"You never replied to any of them," Jimin said on the other line.

"What was I supposed to say? Thanks, noted?" I remarked.

"Maybe. Just any sign that the number is working," he replied.

I shifted on the sofa before asking, "So why are you calling? If you're just going to remind me that I should pay, I'm assuring you that I'd deposit it to your account tomorrow morning. I just got my salary today."

"Well, there's that," he spoke, "Plus, I want to eat breakfast tomorrow."

"Of course you're eating breakfast tomorrow. Don't we all do, everyday?"

"I mean, I want to eat some home-made breakfast."

"I don't think that concerns me," I retorted.

"Yes, it does because you're the one cooking," he answered.

"What?!" I exclaimed, "What makes you think I'd cook for you?"

"The fact that I would deduct $100 from your debt if you do."

I paused but I need not think it through for too long. That's almost half of what I can pay him, and I could get that with just one breakfast.

"Fine. Just send me your address," I told him.