Chapter 2

When Percy returned to the tower, he would not leave the Winter Soldier's side. He was still shaken from the whole ordeal, his nerves shot from feeling scared one moment to relieved the next. He was nestled safely in the assassin's arms, his own wrapped around the man's neck, and he kept his face hidden. People with cameras had kept trying to bother them but one look from Minty had them scattering.

Tony kept by their side the entire time, alternating from running a hand through Percy's hair and gently gripping the Winter Soldier's arm. He couldn't believe that one man could hate a child so much that he would threaten him with a weapon, other people around be damned. It made Tony more certain than ever that he made the right choice in staying as Iron Man, a hero, and not hanging up the suit when it seemed like the whole world was against him.

"Dad," Percy said quietly when his hiccups subsided. "Am I bad?"

The billionaire's heart clenched at those words, remembering how he asked the same question to his butler Jarvis after the third time his father yelled and hit him. "No, sweetheart. You're perfect. You're not bad, I promise, okay? You're my baby boy, there's nothing you could do that would ever change my mind that I love you."

The tears were gathering in the child's eyes again but he reached over for the man instead of cowering away when he cried, "I don't want to be bad! I don't ever want to be bad!"

"You won't be, Percy," Tony held the child's hands, gently kissing the small palms. "I'll always be here so you won't, okay? I'll have your back."

"P-Promise?"The child let the billionaire scoop him in his arms, hiding his face at his neck.

Tony nodded, closing his eyes as he smiled sadly, "I promise, cucciolo. I'm not going anywhere."

Percy sniffled for a moment before he looked over at the other man in the room, who had yet to revert back to James Barnes, "Minty, will you stay, too?"

The Soldier hesitated, silently wondering for himself if he was allowed to answer when Barnes was so against accepting him. Taking one look at the child's eyes had him coming up with an answer, however, "Yes, I will stay."

"Good," The child wiped his eyes with the back of one of his hands, a smile growing on his face. "And Jim Jam too?"

Tony and Winter looked at each other, surprise evident on both of their faces. Though the assassin allowed emotion to filter to the surface, he could not help it in this situation. Somehow, the child was able to tell the difference between James Barnes and the Winter Soldier when it took others at least three times. It made sense now that he thought about it, how the child seemed to suddenly switch nicknames when he came to the surface, as if there was no question about it.

"He won't ever leave you," Winter stated because someone would have to be an idiot to think that Barnes would ever not want to stay with the child and help him grow up. "Without a doubt, he won't."

Percy grinned widely, clapping his hands together once as he practically glowed with happiness. Tear tracks stained his face but it didn't detract from the joy and relief he now expressed. When he was placed back down on the floor, he wiped his face once more, sniffling a bit, before straightening, "Where's Auntie Nat and Uncle Brucie?"

"We're here," Natasha and Bruce walked in at that moment as if they were waiting for their cue. "Are you okay, котенок?"

"Mm," The six year-old nodded, reaching for the woman's hand. "I'm hungry. Do you want to eat noodles with me?"

The redhead smiled softly, tightening her grip gently for a moment, "Noodles sound amazing. Bruce?" She looked at the scientist, who met her eyes with a slightly surprised look. "Would you like to eat noodles with us?"

Bruce blinked at her before he put his hands in his sweater pockets, stepping forward while nodding his head, "I like noodles."

Tony grinned at all of them before he turned to Percy, who was carefully grabbing his stool so he could reach the top cabinets. "Minty and I have to go talk for a little, okay? We'll be right back. Auntie Nat and Uncle Brucie will be here with you."

"M'kay!" Percy hummed, gesturing for the man to bend down a bit so he could place a sloppy kiss on his cheek. "I will get noodles for you and Minty."

"That would be great," The billionaire ruffled the kid's head, hoping his face didn't betray how much that small gesture affected him. Judging by Winter's knowing look, it showed a lot more than intended.

Tony and Winter walked down to the genius' lab, the only place he knew both Winter and James were comfortable at. When the assassin first came to the tower, he was hesitant about getting maintenance on his arm. It took a few days before the man came down the elevator but once he did, he was in awe. Holograms seemed to fill the air, machines sparking and coming to life as robots twirled in circles at the far end of the lab. Stark himself stood in the middle of it all, directing different screens around him as he conversed with his A.I JARVIS. Information seemed to flood the room but the genius did not look the least bit stressed as he worked on different upgrades for the Avengers all at the same time.

The smile the man had given the assassin solidified the fact that the lab was the furthest from HYDRA as they could ever get because only someone broken and perfect could smile like that at a monster like the Winter Soldier.

"Thank you," Tony spoke, unknowingly breaking the assassin out of his thoughts as they entered the lab. "If you hadn't, I- Thank you, Winter."

"You do not need to thank me," He responded, finding it easier to talk to the man than anyone else. "I can only apologize that I did not kill the man when I had the chance."

The billionaire's lips pinched in a thin line and he ran a hand through his fluffy brown hair, "It's... A good thing you didn't. Don't get me wrong, I want to bury that fucker in the ground myself but... Even with everything that happened, I wouldn't know how to tell Percy. He just- I want to be better for him but..." He sighed heavily, rubbing his face with his hands, "God, it's so hard sometimes when everything is just- too much. It's too much."

Winter stayed quiet for a moment, pondering how he should respond. He was tempted to get Barnes back, to get him to handle it, but this was his time with Tony, his time to figure himself out as a person. Maybe... Maybe he didn't have to say anything at all. 

He reached forward, making sure the hero saw his movements, before carefully pulling the man into a hug, tucking his head against his neck. Very softly, he hummed a simple Russian lullaby he managed to remember during one of his times away from his handlers.

The soldier didn't say anything as he felt his shirt become damp with tears, simply focusing on holding the engineer and continuing the song.

Xxxxxxxxxxx

it's here but, hey, at least it's here!!!

:D

-

Words: 1,238

Song: Like This - NF