Public Enemy, Part One

---- NOV 8TH, 2038 ----

---- PM 04:10:40 ----

We found ourselves stuck in an elevator a few hours later, Connor immediately beginning to flip his coin. I stood behind the two, as Hank insisted I do. I didn't want to come to this, but Fowler insisted that I go to the investigation. 

I found my heart racing more and more as the numbers climbed higher and higher. I really just wanted to go to Hank's and just sleep. Just forget about everything that was happening. 

As the number reached 79 I heard the ding of the elevator. I gulped, stepping out of the elevator. I noticed that the flipping noise had stopped, and I looked to see Hank pocketing the coin. I rolled my eyes, reaching into my own pocket and pulling a quarter out. Without Connor realizing, I slipped it into his pants pocket.

"Hi Hank, hello Mae," I heard a newer cop greet us. I smiled politely, not wanting to show that I really didn't want to be here.

"Shit, what's going on here? There was a party and nobody told me about it?" Hank openly teased, smiling a little. 

"Yeah, it's all over the news, so everybody's butting their nose in." The officer said, looking up at me and Hank, "Even the FBI wants a piece of the action."

"Damn," I mumbled, pausing in my steps. As soon as Connor caught up, however, I resumed walking up towards the two cops.

"I knew this was gonna be a shitty day," Hank mumbled.

How do you think I feel right about now? My thoughts were cut off when I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned to see Connor standing there, eyebrow raised. 

"Are you alright? Your heart rate has elevated," Connor questioned.

"I'll be fine," I grumbled out, shrugging his hand off and walking into the broadcast room. Connor would update me once he got the information anyway. 

I could hear murmurs begin as soon as I walked into the broadcast room. Most of them were pointed to some other partner, but I noticed a couple of them looking at me. I rolled my eyes, walking over to the monitors. I motioned for the cop to play the clip that had been recorded, tucking my good hand into my pocket. My left arm was back in a sling, and a jacket hung off my body in order to hide my wrapped wrists. 

"This is the important bit," The officer said, hitting the play button.

"We ask that you recognize our dignity, our hopes, and our rights. Together, we can live in peace and build a better future, for humans and androids. This message is the hope of a people. You gave us life. And now the time has come for you to give us freedom."

I sighed, watching as the cop hit the pause button. 

He was... calm. Obviously had to be a bit stressed though, he held his shoulders a little too tight. But the android... I couldn't help but think about the requests. It was the same requests that non-white people and women had all had to demand at one point or another. The thought shot me into the shoes of the androids. I couldn't imagine having to fight for that, I was lucky to have those rights when I was born.

Maybe if a cop helped, it would turn out better for them.

I heard the familiar gait of Hank's footsteps but didn't bother turning around. Again, a hand on my shoulder. I looked up to see Connor by my side again. I smiled a little bit, turning around and pulling my smile back off. 

I watched as a man in a trenchcoat was introduced to us. Special Agent Perkins. I watched as he grit his teeth as the innocent officer began to speak, "Lieutenant Anderson and Detective Elsanor are in charge of investigating for Detroit Police."

"What's that?" Perkins asked, nodding his head at Connor.

"My name is Connor. I'm the android sent by CyberLife," Connor introduced happily. 

I saw the shift in Perkins' mood immediately, "Androids investigating androids, huh?"

"Yeah, almost like humans investigating humans. What a concept," I snapped, not caring about how I sounded at that moment.

"Detective Elsanor, I wasn't aware that you were working today, not after the incident from this morning and your injury," Perkins shot back.

"Well, it's not like I had much of a choice. Besides, I'd have been bored off my ass." 

Perkins rolled his eyes, "You sure you want this thing hanging around you two? After everything that happened..." He raised his eyebrows tauntingly. 

I would have said something again, but Hank gripped my arm. I sighed, glaring daggers at the FBI agent.

"Whatever, the FBI will take over the investigation, you'll soon be off the case."

"Pleasure meeting you. Have a nice day," Hank spit out. 

"And you watch your step," Perkins grumbled. After an incredulous look from Hank, Perkins spoke up, "Don't fuck up my crime scene."

When he turned away I mumbled, "Well, don't fuck up my day then." Hank snorted, looking at me. I smiled, running a hand through my hair. 

"I'll be nearby," the cop from before said, "If you need anything, just ask."

I nodded as he turned away, looking back at Connor. 

"Let us know if you see anything," Hank mumbled, walking off.

"Ok, Lieutenant. Mae, would you like me to tell you what happened since you walked off earlier?" Connor asked, looking at me.

I nodded, "Yes please."