Chapter Twenty-Seven: The Grass is Always Greener, Pt 2

Hours passed as Katerin watched the horizon, and she held a desperate hope to see the outline of land in the distance. She knew they likely still had days to go, but that logic was lost as she stared out into the vast expanse of water and sky, and lost herself as her thoughts grew too curious over Itrea, the war, and its resident dragon. She refused the first dwarf who came to relieve her.

Katerin kept her vigil for hours, with not a thought for sleep. She knew the crew was battered and tired, and she knew they had worked as hard as she, and more. The least she could do was let them rest. She let her thoughts wander, but kept her eyes sharp, hoping for that line of substance on the horizon to show itself.

She wanted so badly to find Alkyrindaun, to see what it might teach her. To find some hint of an answer to Byron's motives, or Lodyne's goals. The inhabitants of the city were said to be chroniclers of history like none others, recounting even the tales of how the gods themselves came to power. They held history of not just this plane, but of them all. Lodyne might not be well researched in Katerin's world, but what they knew was a different story. Would they have an answer for the voice that whispered about loss? Or a reassurance against the words of the man who plagued her dreams? As she pondered old questions for immeasurable time, Roahn eventually shook her from them.

"I'm here for watch," Roahn said, crouching across from her and gesturing for the spy glass.

"Oh, you don't have to—"

"Katerin, get out of the damn nest and go get some sleep." Roahn gave her a squinting look.

"I'm not tired."

Roahn snorted. "Well, you look like shit, so at least go clean yourself up and get some food."

Katerin sighed, understanding that she was not going to win any arguments against the dragon-kin. "Alright," she said, blinking past the wave of dizziness that overtook her as she stood.

"Why're you so reluctant to sleep?" Roahn asked, her face serious for a moment. "The storm has passed."

"It's not the storm."

"What then?" Roahn asked, a genuine look of concern on her face. "I know you're a fragile thing... but that was better than I could've hoped for, and if you didn't already know, I am quite the cynic."

Katerin snorted out a laugh. "You can't be nice, without being insulting, can you?"

Roahn grinned. "At least I can be nice. You're rather blunt with your own words."

"You don't have to worry about me, Roahn."

"Actually, I do. It's why you hired me, if I remember correctly. You're the best chance I've got to find this hammer. I'm counting on you." Roahn spoke with a tone that told Katerin she was not joking.

Katerin frowned. "I'll get us there, but I have no idea how to find your hammer."

"I know." Roahn settled back and pulled a flask from her cloak. "But why do you doubt so much?"

"I—" Katerin began, but Roahn's expression left her excuse hanging and empty. She thought for a moment, and turned away without a word, climbing out of the rigging with a frown. I'm not sure where I should be, she thought.

Once she had climbed wearily down the ladder, and dropped to the deck, she nodded briefly at Jon, who was surely the one who had sent Roahn to relieve her.

In the cabin she found Fykes fast asleep, his feet somehow on his pillow. She kissed his cheek and pulled enough of the blanket free to squeeze in beside him. It seemed as soon as she closed her eyes, she was asleep. But the sleep was not the peaceful oblivion she had come to adore for its rarity. Instead, it was the voice again, for the first time since the island Lodyne spoke to her.